School of Education
1750 Kraft Dr., Room 2003
Blacksburg, VA 24061
540-231-9703 | email@example.com
Dr. Gerard Lawson, an associate professor in the Counselor Education program at Virginia Tech, will assume the presidency of the American Counseling Association in July 2017. He is past-president of both the Association for Counselor Education and Supervision and the Virginia Counselors Association.
Since joining the Virginia Tech faculty in 2002, Dr. Lawson has published his research in such journals as the Journal of Counseling and Development, Counselor Education and Supervision, and The Clinical Supervisor. He has presented at national and international conferences on a range of topics, including counselor wellness, crisis response and resilience, and clinical supervision.
Dr. Lawson is the Association for Counselor Education and Supervision representative to the American Counseling Association Governing Council. He is also a trustee of the American Counseling Association Foundation and has chaired the American Counseling Association Taskforce on Crisis Response Planning.
Dr. Lawson is a Licensed Professional Counselor, a National Certified Counselor, and an Approved Clinical Supervisor.
- Clinical Supervision
- Crisis Preparedness and Response
- Counselor Wellness and Resilience
- Counselor Development
- Ph.D. College of William & Mary
- M.S. Longwood College
- B.S. Virginia Tech
- American Counseling Association
- Association for Counselor Education and Supervision
- American Mental Health Counselors Association
- Martin Ritchie Award for Excellence in Advocacy (inaugural award, 2015)
- President’s Award for Outstanding Service, Southern Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (2015)
- Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Award, Center for Instructional Design and Educational Research at Virginia Tech (2014)
- John R. Cook Award (Virginia Counselors Association’s highest award) (2012)
- Robert Rencken Emerging Professional Leader, American Counseling Association (2011)
- Outstanding Advisor Award, Virginia Tech School of Education (2009)
Day, K., Lawson, G., & Burge, P. (In Press). Clinicians’ experiences of shared trauma after the shootings at Virginia Tech. Journal of Counseling and Development.
Lambert, S.F. & Lawson, G. (2013). Resilience of professional counselors following hurricanes Katrina and Rita. Journal of Counseling and Development, 91(3), 261-268.
Lawson, G. & Myers, J. E. (2011). Wellness, professional quality of life, and career sustaining behaviors: What keeps us well? Journal of Counseling and Development, 89(2), 163-171.
Lawson, G. (2007). Counselor wellness and impairment: Results of a national survey. Journal for Humanistic Counseling, Education, and Development, 46(1), 20-34.
- National Institutes of Justice — Comprehensive School Safety Initiative. Principal investigator for a $914,000 two-year study of the school-to-prison pipeline in Virginia.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration — Screening Brief Intervention and Referral for Treatment grant. Co-Principal Investigator and Associate Project Director.
- Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services — Region IV Suicide Planning Grant. Awarded $10,000 by Region IV of the Virginia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services to facilitate a planning process and write a grant proposal for suicide prevention activities in the region.
Select Media Mentions
Recent Academic News