Betti C. Kreye
- Education and training of mathematics specialists
- Professional development for inservice K-12 teachers
- Instructional strategies for teacher education
- Mathematics Consultant and Support Person working with Covington City Public Schools (pK-12), 2014.
- Mathematics Consultant and Support Person working with Washington County Public Schools (pK-8), 2013-2014.
- Mathematics Consultant and Support Person working with Buchanan County Public Schools (pK-8), 2014 on-going.
- Lead Reviewer for the “Teachers’ Materials Review Corner” within the Virginia Mathematics Teacher journal as assigned by the Executive Board of the VCTM.
- Ed.D. Virginia Tech
- M.A.Ed. Virginia Tech
- B.S. Virginia Tech
Awards and Honors
2016 VCTM Educator of The Year at the university level
2012 VT CIDER (Center for Instructional Development and Educational Research) Teacher of The Week Award
2011 VT School of Education Outstanding Teaching Award
2010 Phi Delta Kappa Outstanding Higher Education Award
Kreye, B., & Tilley-Lubbs, G. A. (2014) Collaboration for authentic preservice teacher experiences: Mathematics and English as a second language. International Journal of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, Vol. 25, No. 3.
Kreye, B. C., & Wilkins, J. L. M. (2010). Providing real-world experiences: The Virginia Tech externship for mathematics specialists. The Journal of Mathematics and Science: Collaborative Explorations.
Kreye, B., & Tilley-Lubbs, G. A. Preparing teachers for changing demographics: An innovative, collaborative approach. Volume 2: Multicultural Curriculum Transformation in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) of the PK-12 Multicultural Curriculum Transformation Handbook Series. (In press).
Mistele, J., & Kreye, B. (2015). Mathematics Specialists: Describing an Application of a Motivational Model Called MUSIC. Virginia Mathematics Teacher, Vol. 42, No. 1.
MSP Mini-Grant with Norton City Public Schools, Kreye,B (Consultant and Key Instructor): providing professional development sessions for all mathematics teachers grades K-Algebra I through monthly sessions, 2015-2016
MSP Grant with Buchanan County Public Schools, 3-year grant. Kreye,B (Co-PI), McCallum, P (Co_PI): 55 mathematics teachers K-Algebra I in Riverside Elementary/Middle School, Council Elem/Mid School, and Hurley Elem/Mid School providing (each year) a 3-credit mathematics content course, professional development, support through 2 days per month observations, model teaching, individual discussions. 2015-2018
NSF Innovation-Based Manufacturing, Kreye,B. (Evaluator): This grant is an NSF Research Experience for Teachers (RET) grant under manufacturing engineering and science education. It provides experiences for in-service teachers working with research faculty on campus, 2013 - present
PEARLS (Partners for Excellence, Access, Retention, Leadership, and Success). 2014-2016. Faculty Development Workshop involving customized professional development on innovative pedagogical practices in mathematics with schools: Achievable Dream Academy.