- The cognitive demands addressed through technological and engineering design-based teaching and learning
- Instructional strategies for design based biotechnology literacy
- Integrative pedagogical practices among STEM education areas
- Instructional design and technology
- Regional Leader (2014), International Technology and Engineering Educator Association nominee for the National Academy of Engineering K12 Engineering Education Online Toolkit Project stakeholder meeting, Washington, DC, June 30.
- Keynote speaker (2014), International Elementary Education Conference on Issues and Prospects for Sustainable Integrative Education in the 21st Century, Seoul National University of Education, Seoul, South Korea, September 26.
- Chair, Humanities/Social Sciences Review Panel, Grant proposals for the Korean National Research Foundation, November 2010.
- Ph.D. Virginia Tech
- M.S. Virginia Tech
- B.S. Florida State University
- B.S. Florida State University
Awards and Honors
2016, Gerald Day Excellence in Authorship Award. Awarded by the International Technology and Engineering Educators Association for the paper titled: PIRPOSAL Model of Integrative STEM Education: Conceptual and Pedagogical Framework for Classroom Implementation.
2016, Outstanding Research Award. National award from the Council on Technology and Engineering Teacher Education, International Technology and Engineering Educators Association for paper titled: The Efficacy of Technological/Engineering Design Approach: Imposed Cognitive Demands within Design Based Biotechnology Instruction.
2015, Technology Teacher Educator of the Year Award. Council on Technology and Engineering Teacher Education, International Technology and Engineering Educators Association.
2015, Reviewers’ Favorite Award with Kannengiesser, Gero, & Lammi for Do High School Students Benefit from Pre-Engineering Design Education. International award for paper presented at the 20th International Conference on Engineering Design: Design for Life, Milan, Italy
- Burke, B., Reed, P., & Wells, J. (2014). Integrating technology and engineering in a STEM context. In Yager, R. E. & Brunkhorst, H. (Eds.), Exemplary STEM Programs: Designs for Success (pp.353-371). Arlington, VA: National Science Teachers Association (NSTA). Peer Reviewed.
- Wells, John G. (2010). Research on teaching and learning in science education: Potentials in technology education. Chapter 10, in Reed, P. & LaPorte, J. (Eds.), Research in Technology Education. Council on Technology Teacher Education, 59th Yearbook (pp. 192-217), Ball State University, Muncie, IN
- Strimel, G., Grubbs, M., & Wells, J. (2017). Engineering education: A clear decision. Technology and Engineering Teacher, 76(4), 18-24.
- Wells, John G., (2016c). Integrative STEM Education Exemplar: Implementation of the PIRPOSAL Model. Technology and Engineering Teacher, 75(10), 16-23
- Wells, John G., (2016b). Efficacy of the technological/engineering design approach: Imposed cognitive demands within design based biotechnology instruction. Journal of Technology Education, 27(2), 4-20.
- Wells, John G., (2016a). PIRPOSAL Model of Integrative STEM Education: Conceptual and Pedagogical Framework for Classroom Implementation. Technology and Engineering Teacher, 75(6), 12-19.
- Wells, John G., Lammi, M., Gero, J., Grubbs, M., Paretti, M., & Williams, C. (2016). Characterizing design cognition of high school students: Initial analyses comparing those with and without pre-engineering experiences. Journal of Technology Education, 27(2), 78-91.
Wells, J. (Principal Investigator, PI) (2012). Virginia Initiative for Science Teaching and Achievement. US Dept. of Education Sub-Award from George Mason University, $3,337,794.00
Gero, J. (PI/GMU Lead University); Wells, J. (PI/VT), Williams, C. (Co-PI/VT), & Paretti. M. (Co-PI/VT); Lammi, M. (PI/NCSU) (2012). Collaborative Research: Understanding High School Pre-Engineering Student Design Cognition, Comparisons with Engineering Students. National Science Foundation/Research in Engineering Program (#EEC-1160345), $527,839 (GMU $269,078; VT $109,205; NCSU $49,556)
Wells, J. (Rural Coordinator/VT) (2011). Virginia Initiative for Science Teaching and Achievement US Dept. of Education, Sub-Award from George Mason University, $328,324.
Gaudreau, P. (Director), Weaver, R. (Co-Director), Schultz, J. (Co-Director), & Wells, J. (Partner) (2010). STEM Service Learning: A Collaborative Middle School Model, $16,170.00.