Heidi Anne E. Mesmer
School of Education
Public Safety Building
Blacksburg, VA 24061
540-231-8343 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Heidi Anne E. Mesmer, Ph.D., has studied beginning reading materials and text difficulty since 1999. Her research has appeared in Reading Research Quarterly, The Educational Researcher, The Journal of Literacy Research, The Reading Teacher, and other books and journals. She has written and directed eight training grants in two states aimed at improving reading instruction in K-5 classrooms.
- Text Difficulty and Readability
- Reader-text Matching
- Beginning Reading
- Phonics and Word Study
- PhD, University of South Florida
- MEd, Curry School of Education, University of Virginia
- BA, College of William & Mary
- International Literacy Association
- American Educational Research Association
- Virginia State Reading Association
- Outreach Award, College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences, Virginia Tech 2012
- Promising Scholar Award, School of Education, Virginia Tech 2009
- National Academy of Education/Spencer Foundation Postdoctoral Fellow 2003
- Mesmer, H. A., Mesmer, E., & Jones, J. (2014). Reading interventions in primary grades: a common sense guide to RTI. New York: Guilford Press.
- Mesmer, H. A. (2008). Tools for matching readers to texts: research-based practices. New York: Guilford Press.
- Mesmer, H. A. (2019). Letter Lessons and First Words. Heinemann.
- Mesmer, H. A. (2016). Complex Test: Deepening Close Reading in the Classroom. Teachers College Press.
- Mesmer, H. (2016). Text matters: Exploring the lexical reservoirs of books in preschool rooms. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 34(1), 67-77, 497.
- Mesmer, H. A. E., & Williams, T. O. (2015). Examining the role of syllable awareness in a model of concept of word: Findings from preschoolers. Reading Research Quarterly, 50(4), 1-15.
- Mesmer, H., Cunningham, J. W., Hiebert, E. H. (2012). Toward a theoretical model of text complexity for the early grades: Learning from the past, anticipating the future. Reading Research Quarterly, 47(3), 234-258.
- Mesmer, H. A. (2006). Beginning reading materials: A national survey of primary teachers' reported uses and beliefs. Journal of Literacy Research, 38(4), 389-425.
- Mesmer, Heidi (2012) (100%), "Leading in Reading: Year 2” A subcontract through Radford funded by No Child Left Behind, Title II through State Council of Higher Education In Virginia. $28,464
- Mesmer, H.A., Jones, J., & Mesmer, E. (2011). 50% effort. Leading in Reading: Capacity Building for Literacy Achievement. A grant funded to No Child Left Behind, Title II through State Council of Higher Education In Virginia. $169,763
- Mesmer, H. A., Mesmer, E., Jones, J., & Graves-Jacomen, L. (2009). Teach for Achievement: Data-based decision-making in content reading. State Council of Higher Education in Virginia through No Child Left Behind, Title II. $150,000
Select Media Mentions
Article Item'Decodable' books: Boring, useful, or both? , article
Education Week, 3/13/2020
Article ItemThere are four foundational reading skills. Why do we only talk about phonics? , article
Education Week, 1/23/2020
Article ItemResolution 2019: Pick up a book and read , article
The Roanoke Star, 12/29/2018
Recent Academic News