Why Study Education Here?
All programs in the Virginia Tech School of Education (SOE) are at the Graduate level. Students must earn an undergraduate degree in an area relevant to their focus in education as delineated in the Pre-Education Advising section. The SOE focuses on developing educators who are committed to access and equity, reflective practice, and are learner focused. You can study to become a teacher, an administrator in K-12 or Higher Education, a counselor, a specialist in Reading, Math or Integrative STEM education, an Instructional Technologist, a researcher, or a faculty member in any of these areas. You will find a community of practitioner-scholars who share your passion for education and impacting the future of our global communities.
We offer programs in the degree categorizations of Career and Technical Education, Counselor Education, Curriculum and Instruction, Educational Leadership and Policy Studies, Education Research and Evaluation, and Higher Education. Learn more about our programs here.
- Accredited by the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) since 1971
- All professional licensure programs approved by the Virginia Department of Education
- Degrees offered : Masters, Educational Specialist (Ed.S.), Doctor of Education (Ed.D.) and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)
- Graduate Assistantships:77
- Total Fall 2017 Enrollment: 637
- 2016-2017 Graduates:
- More than 160 new licensed administrators, counselors, and teachers
- More than 60 new doctorates
- Faculty Accomplishments 2016:
- Funded Grants, External: $23.2 million (SOE portion: $16.7 million)
- Funded Grants, Internal: $101,687 (SOE portion: $60,687)
- Books/Book Chapters: 28
- Refereed Articles: 90
- Papers at Professional Meetings: 163
- Editorial Boards: 49
- More than 19 International Faculty Activities with 14 Countries
- Outreach Partnerships to Include:
- Institute for Creativity in Arts and Technology
- STEM Education Collaborator
- VA Career VIEW: Serving over 6000 individuals; more than 77 million website hits
- Training & Technical Assistance (T/TAC): Counseling over 8000 educators and families.
- Teaching Highlights
- US News & World Reports: Top 100 Graduate Schools of Education
- Association of Public and Land-grant Universities (APLU) Science Math Teacher Imperative (SMTI)
- More than $120000 in scholarships and awards for pre-service and practicing educators.