Why Study Here?
The Virginia Tech School of Education (SOE) provides its students with world-class programs in teacher education, educational leadership, higher education, counselor education, and educational studies. As a leading provider of graduate education for students who are committed to diversity and equity, reflective practice, and research-based practices, we will work with you to ensure that you meet your goals. You can study to become a teacher, an administrator in PK-12 education, a leader in higher education and student affairs, a counselor or mental health clinician, or a specialist in Reading, Math, Integrative STEM, or Instructional Design and Technology; you can even become a researcher or faculty member in any of these areas! At the VT SOE, you will find a community of teacher-scholars who share your passion for education and impacting the future of our global communities.
SOE Basic Facts
- Accredited by the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) since 1971.
- Initial Teacher Education programs accredited by CAEP in 2019.
- All professional licensure programs approved by the Virginia Department of Education
- Degrees offered : Masters (M.A.Ed. & M.S.), Educational Specialist (Ed.S.), Doctor of Education (Ed.D.) and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)
- Graduate Assistantships: 51
- Total Fall 2020 Enrollment: 514
- 2019-2020 Graduates:
- More than 135 new licensed administrators, counselors, and teachers
- More than 40 new doctorates
- Faculty Accomplishments 2021:
- Funded Grants, External: $23.2 million (SOE portion: $16.7 million)
- Funded Grants, Internal: $101,687 (SOE portion: $60,687)
- Books/Book Chapters: 36
- Refereed Articles: 85
- Papers at Professional Meetings: 164
- Editorial Boards: 53
- More than 19 International Faculty Activities with 14 Countries
- Outreach Partnerships Include:
- Institute for Creativity in Arts and Technology (ICAT)
- STEM Education Collaborator
- VA Career VIEW: Serving over 6000 individuals; more than 77 million website hits
- Training & Technical Assistance (T/TAC): Providing support and educational resources to over 8000 educators and families.
- More than $ 50,000 in scholarships for pre-service and practicing educators.