Why Study Here?
The Virginia Tech School of Education (SOE) provides its students with world-class programs in teacher education, educational leadership, higher education, counselor education, and educational studies. We are the leading provider of graduate education for students who are committed to diversity and equity, reflective practice, and research-based “best” practices. You can study to become a teacher, an administrator in PK-12 education, a leader in higher education and student affairs, a counselor or mental health clinician, or a specialist in Reading, Math, Integrative STEM, or Instructional Design and Technology; you can even become a researcher or faculty member in any of these areas! At the VT SOE, you will find a community of teacher-scholars who share your passion for education and impacting the future of our global communities.
SOE Basic Facts
- Accredited by the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) since 1971.
- Initial Teacher Education programs accredited by CAEP in 2019.
- All professional licensure programs approved by the Virginia Department of Education
- Degrees offered : Masters (M.A.Ed. & M.S.), Educational Specialist (Ed.S.), Doctor of Education (Ed.D.) and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)
- Graduate Assistantships: 51
- Total Fall 2020 Enrollment: 514
- 2019-2020 Graduates:
- More than 135 new licensed administrators, counselors, and teachers
- More than 40 new doctorates
- Faculty Accomplishments 2020:
- Funded Grants, External: $23.2 million (SOE portion: $16.7 million)
- Funded Grants, Internal: $101,687 (SOE portion: $60,687)
- Books/Book Chapters: 62
- Refereed Articles: 90
- Papers at Professional Meetings: 125
- Editorial Boards: 53
- More than 19 International Faculty Activities with 14 Countries
- Outreach Partnerships Include:
- Institute for Creativity in Arts and Technology (ICAT)
- STEM Education Collaborator
- VA Career VIEW: Serving over 6000 individuals; more than 77 million website hits
- Training & Technical Assistance (T/TAC): Providing support and educational resources to over 8000 educators and families.
- More than $ 50,000 in scholarships for pre-service and practicing educators.