- STEM and engineering-related professional development for in-service K-12 teachers
- Studying the effectiveness of authentic project-based learning activities on student learning
- Retention factors for university 1st year engineering students
- The integration of virtual modeling with traditional instruction
- Improving participation, resources, and classroom transition for alternatively licensed educators
- On-going teacher professional development with Radford City Public Schools for developing STEM-based project activities and active learning strategies; 2016-present
- Coordinate seminars and design workshops in STEM learning methods for Native American community college instructors in North Dakota; 2015-present
- Present engineering lessons at local elementary schools
- Coordinated after-school LEGO club for 3rd and 4th-grade students at local elementary schools
- Coordinator; Teachers in Industry conference to build industry/educational partnerships
- Ed.D. North Carolina State University
- Master of Civil Engineering North Carolina State University
- B.S. Virginia Tech
Awards and Honors
- Recipient of the College of Human Development and Education’s annual Exceptional Contributions to Service/Outreach Award, 2014-2015.
- Nominated for 2012-2013 Annual Awards for Excellence in Academic Advising of Undergraduates
- Nominated for 2012-2013 College of Human Development and Education "Exceptional Contributions as an Emerging Teacher" Award
- American Council for Construction Education (ACCE) visiting accreditation team member certified
- Yang, H., Srivastava, M., Xie, Y., Bai, Y., Yu, Y., & Bowen B. D. (under review). Higher Education on Buildings: A Case Study in the Region of North Dakota. Journal of Architectural Engineering.
- Bowen, B. D., DeLuca, V. W., & Franzen, M. M. (2016). Measuring how the degree of content knowledge determines performance outcomes in an engineering design-based simulation environment for middle school students. Computers and Education, 92-93. p. 117-124.
- Ernst, J. V., Bowen, B. D., & Williams, T. O. (2016). Freshman Engineering Students At-Risk of Non-Matriculation: Self-Efficacy for Academic Learning. American Journal of Engineering Education, 7(1). p. 9-18.
- Bowen, B. D. & DeLuca, V. W. (2015). Comparing traditional versus alternative sequencing of instruction when using simulation modeling. Journal of STEM Education: Innovations and Research, 16(1), p. 5-10.
- Research Experiences for Teachers: Engineering in Precision Agriculture and Sustainability for Rural STEM Educators. National Science Foundation, Research Experiences for Teachers Program. 2016-2018. $587,517. Through North Dakota State University.
- Pre-Engineering Education Collaboration 2+2+2+Infinity: Pipeline for Tribal Pre-Engineering to Society (PEEC:PTiPS). National Science Foundation, Tribal Colleges and Universities Program. 2016-2017. $164,999. Through North Dakota State University.
- Educators in Industry: K-12 Externship Program. Legislative Bill accepted into North Dakota State’s Budget; 2015-2017; $50,000.