- Sociocultural factors influencing students’ participation in science, technology, engineering and mathematics
- Virginia Mathematics Science Coalition (board member 2014-present)
- National Association for Research in Science Teaching
- Association for Science Teacher Education
- American Educational Research
- Association National Association for Multicultural Education
- Ph.D. Virginia Tech
- M.S. Virginia Tech
- B.S. Delta State University
Awards and Honors
National Distinction Merit Award (2016)
Jerome Niles Faculty Research Award (2010)
College of Liberal Arts and Human Science Excellence in Outreach Award (2010)
Brand, B. (2015) A Broom and a Mop Just Won’t Do: From Sharecropper to Educator, A Forerunner for Social Change. Tate Publishing: Mustang, Ok.
Brand, B., Kasarda, M., & Williams, C. (in press). Inquiry by Engineering Design: Applying the Sixth "E". Technology and Engineering Teacher.
Simonetti, J., Brand, B., & Glasson, G.E. (2015) Phystec at Virginia Tech: The Importance of Engineering. Forum on Education: Summer 2015 Newsletter 15-16. http://www.aps.org/units/fed/newsletters/summer2015/virginia-tech.cfm
Brand, B., & Kasarda, M. (2014) The Influence of Social Interactions on Female Students Retention in Two Engineering Programs. Diversity as Friend and Foe of Teaching and Learning Processes in Multicultural Contexts" Special Edition of Insights on Learning Disabilities: From Prevailing Theories to Validated Practices.
Wallace, T., & Brand, B., (2012) Using critical race theory to analyze science teachers culturally responsive practices. Cultural Studies in Science Education.
NSF ITEST Drs. Brenda Brand and Takumi Sato, “Actualizing STEM Potential in the Mississippi Delta,” $1,641,313.00, July 2015-June 2019.
NSF RET Drs. Chris Williams and Brenda Brand “Innovation Based Manufacturing,” $449,421, June 2012- August 2015.
VDOE MSP Drs. Brenda Brand and Mary Kasarda "VA STEM CoNNECT," $140,486, March 2012 – September, 2014.