Our faculty takes great pride in the humanities, social and human science, and creative research our students undertake. Our college provides various forms of support to help you conduct, fund, present, and publish your research.
Undergraduate Research Opportunities
You can register for our independent study or undergraduate research courses, which provide opportunities to complete a research project with the guidance of a faculty mentor. Ask your academic advisor for more information.
Our faculty enjoy sharing their research with students. If you're curious about a professor's area of research, ask about pursuing a collaborative project or invite a professor to mentor you while pursing your own ideas.
In the Honors College you may choose to participate in research as you meet requirements for the Honors Laureate Diploma. It is an excellent opportunity to develop and demonstrate your knowledge and to prepare for graduate study or careers requiring advanced research skills.
- Arabic – Nadine Sinno
- Childhood Pre-Education - Caroline Hornburg
- Cinema - Natasha Staley
- Classical Studies – Trudy Becker
- Communication Studies – Douglas Cannon
- Consumer Studies – Chelsey Hancok
- Creative Writing - Laura Ferguson
- Criminology - Kwame Harrison
- English – Laura Ferguson
- Family and Consumer Sciences- Chelsey Hancok
- Fashion Merchandising and Design – Chelsey Hancok
- French – Corinne Noirot
- German – Debra Stoudt
- History – Dennis Halpin
- Human Development – Victoria Lael
- Humanities for Public Service - Matthew Gabriele
- International Public Policy - Yannis Stivachtis
- International Relations - Yannis Stivachtis
- International Studies – Yannis Stivachtis
- Multimedia Journalism – Douglas Cannon
- Music – Jason Crafton
- National Security and Foreign Affairs - Yannis Stivachtis
- Philosophy – Joe Pitt
- Philosophy, Politics, and Economics – Michael Moehler
- Political Science – Courtney Thomas
- Professional and Technical Writing - Laura Ferguson
- Property Management – Chelsey Hancok
- Public Relations – Douglas Cannon
- Religion and Culture – Matthew Gabriele
- Residential Environments and Design- Chelsey Hancok
- Russian – Nyusya Milman-Miller
- Sociology – Kwame Harrison
- Spanish – Annie Hesp
- Sports Media and Analytics – Douglas Cannon
- Theatre Arts – Natasha Staley
Funding Your Research
Grants to fund research and presentations in the fall and spring are available each year. The application is open to undergraduate students majoring or minoring in the college and working with a faculty mentor. The funds may cover the cost of conducting research or for travel to present or perform work.
To apply, complete the application and request a faculty endorsement:
Department representatives are invited to apply for funds to support a research event. Apply now:
Faculty are invited to apply for funds to offer paid undergraduate research positions. This application is closed for the 2020-2021 academic year. Please check back for future opportunities.
- Faculty Undergraduate Research Funding
Many departments have funds to support research. Ask your advisor for more information.
Presenting Your Research
Dennis Dean Undergraduate Research and Creative Scholarship Conference
The Office of Undergraduate Research hosts this conference each April, where you can present undergraduate research posters, papers, and projects.
Department Research Events
Departments offer events to showcase the research and creative scholarship of undergraduate students. For example, the English Department hosts an Undergraduate Research and Writing Symposium and the History Department offers an Undergraduate Research Showcase and Spring Tea.