In a competitive job market, experience is an important commodity. Internships provide you with valuable skills and real-world perspective regarding your chosen career field while giving you the opportunity to explore the possibilities for the future.
Our students have pursued internships with organizations such as the FBI, Roanoke County Police Department, Hokies on the Hill, Accenture Federal Services, NASA, EMILY's List, and Virginia Tech.
- Cinema- Susanna Rinehart
- Classical Studies - Andrew Becker
- Communication Studies– Kimberly Higgs
- Consumer Studies - Irene Leech
- Creative Writing – Jennifer Barton
- Criminology – Donna Sedgwick
- Family and Consumer Studies - Julia Beamish
- Fashion Merchandising and Design - Julia Beamish
- French – Fabrice Teulon
- German – Debra Stoudt
- History – Trudy Becker
- Human Development – Mary Ellen Verdu
- International Public Policy - Phoebe Peterson Jennifer Hanratty
- International Relations - Phoebe Peterson Jennifer Hanratty
- International Studies – Phoebe Peterson Jennifer Hanratty
- Literature and Language – Jennifer Barton
- Multimedia Journalism - Kimberly Higgs
- Music – Tracy Cowden
- National Security and Foreign Affairs - Phoebe Peterson Jennifer Hanratty
- Philosophy – Joe Pitt
- Political Science – Courtney Thomas
- Professional and Technical Writing – Jennifer Barton
- Property Management - Rosemary Goss
- Public Relations - Kimberly Higgs
- Religion and Culture – Brian Britt
- Residential Environments and Design – Kathy Parrott
- Russian – Nyusya Milman-Miller
- Sociology – Donna Sedgwick
- Spanish – Jackie Bixler
- Theatre – Susanna Rinehart
Internships are one of the great ways to get experience in your field. Career and professional development office offers resources for students looking to connect with companies. Some of these include:
- Current Jobs for Graduates
- Career Shift
- Hokie Nation Network
- Capital Semester (Political Science, Journalism, International Affairs, Public Policy,
Economics, Communication, Community Leadership, Government, Legal Studies, etc.)
- Danville Regional Foundation Internships
- Disney Interships
Career and professional development office and the departments of the college offer career and internship fairs for students to meet and network with employers each semester.
For the latest information, see the schedule here.
Katarzyna Goebel, English
I interned for a full service law firm in Pittsburgh, PA. I learned a lot about working in a large law firm and I had the opportunity to network with practicing attorneys. This experience helped me make the decision to pursue law school after graduation.
Allison Lemon, Human Development
I completed my field study at Adult Day Services. It has been a great opportunity and I'm excited to use the experience as preparation in pursuing my Master's Degree in healthcare administration.