- Counseling Older Adults
- Access to Mental Health Services in Later Life
- Suicide Prevention Across the Life Span
- Application of Resilience and Wellness Models
- Medicare reimbursement for licensed professional counselors
- Board Member, Association for Adult Development and Aging (AADA), a division of the American Counseling Association
- Editorial Board, Adultspan Journal
- Member, American Counseling Association Public Policy & Legislation Committee
- Editorial Board, Journal of Counseling & Development
- Ph.D. The Ohio State University
- M.Div. Ashland Theological Seminary
- M.A. Ashland Theological Seminary
- B.A. Northwestern University
Awards and Honors
- 2018 Awarded Innovative Research on Aging Award (Bronze Award) by Mather Lifeways Institute on Aging.
- 2018 Awarded the Advocacy in Adult Development and Aging Award by the Association for Adult Development and Aging, a division of the American Counseling Association.
- Awarded the 2016 Outstanding Adultspan Journal Article Award by the Association for Adult Development and Aging, a division of the American Counseling Association.
Fullen, M.C., Gorby, S., Chan, C., Dobmeier, R., & *Jordan, J. (in press). The current state of gerontological counseling research: A 26-year content analysis. Journal of Counseling and Development.
Fullen, M.C. (2019). Defining wellness in older adulthood: Toward a comprehensive framework. Journal of Counseling and Development, 97 (1), 62-74.
Fullen, M.C., Granello, D.H., Richardson, V.E., & Granello, P.F. (2018). Using wellness and resilience to predict age perception in older adulthood. Journal of Counseling and Development, 96 (3), 424-435.
Fullen, M.C., Richardson, V.E., & Granello, D.H. (2018). Comparing successful aging, resilience, and holistic wellness as predictors of the good life. Educational Gerontology,44(7), 459-468.
2019 (Funded). Investigating the impact of the Medicare mental health coverage gap on rural communities. Funded by Virginia Tech Institute for Society, Culture, and Environment.
Amount: $30,000 Role: Principal Investigator
2018 (Funded). Double blind randomized control trial on the effect of evidence-based suicide intervention training on the home-delivered and congregate nutrition program through the Atlanta Regional Commission. Funded by U.S. Department of Health & Human Services (Administration for Community Living).
Amount: $699,362 Role: Co-Investigator ($75,932 sub-award)
2018 (Funded). Expanding older adults’ access to mental health services via policy and practice changes. Funded by Virginia Tech Institute for Society, Culture and Environment.
Amount: $3,450 Role: Principal Investigator
Professional website: www.agewellcounseling.org