Dr. Catheryn Shaw Foster currently serves as Assistant Professor of Practice of Music Education at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Virginia. Her responsibilities include working with graduate students in the Masters of Education in Curriculum and Instruction program.
Foster received her Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro, her Master of Music Education (MMEd) from Valdosta State University, and her Bachelor of Music Education (BMEd) from Columbus State University. Prior to her appointment at Virginia Tech, she served on the faculty at Fayetteville State University in Fayetteville, North Carolina as the Program Coordinator for Music Education and Lecturer in Music Education. Dr. Foster also served as the Associate Director of Bands at High Point University (NC).
Prior to obtaining her doctorate, she taught public school in Georgia, serving as the Director of Bands at Lowndes Middle School in Valdosta and the Assistant Director of Bands at Perry High School in Perry. During this time, Foster was an active member of Districts VIII and XI, serving as the District Chair, as well as the Honor Band Coordinator for District VIII. Foster serves as a clinician, adjudicator, professional development facilitator, and guest lecturer throughout the southeast. She has presented her research at state, regional, and national conferences. Her current research includes the HBCU faculty experience, Growth Mindset in music instruction, and teaching music in rural settings. Her professional affiliations include the National Association for Music Education and the Virginia Music Educators Association.
- Historically Black Colleges and Universities faculty experiences
- Growth Mindset in music instruction
- Teaching music in rural settings
- PhD in Music Education, University of North Carolina at Greensboro, 2018
- MMEd in Music Education, Valdosta State University, 2013
- BMEd in Music Education, Columbus State University, 2007
- Clinician and adjudicator throughout the southeast
- National Association for Music Education
- Symposium for Music Teacher Education
- Past affiliations with Georgia Music Educators Association & North Carolina Music Educators Association: Georgia – District VIII Chair Person (2014-2015)
- Conductor of South Georgia Middle School Region Band (2022)
- Guest Conductor of Valdosta State University Wind Ensemble (2022)
- Research and Program Development Award (Fayetteville State University)
- Joy C. Morrison Fellow (University of North Carolina at Greensboro)
Foster, C.S. Rural instrumental music education in North Carolina: A case study. Qualitative Research in Music Education.
Foster, C.S. Bringing experiences to pre-service music educators through technology. North Carolina Music Educator.
Foster, C. S. Bringing experiences to pre-service music educators through technology. North Carolina Music Educator, 69 (4), 22 – 23.
Foster, C.S. Growth mindset in the music classroom. VMEAnotes
- “Participant Groupings for Neuroimaging Projects Involving Musicians,” High Point University, High Point, NC (November 2019)
- Middle School Band Directors Workshop (multiple days), Lowndes High School, Valdosta, Georgia (July 2019)
- “The Effects of Music on the Brain at Any Age,” High Point Century’s Study Group, High Point, NC (January 2017)
- “When Music and the Mind Combine: Music and Brain Research,” Valdosta, GA (August 2016)
- Network Science Education Summer Workshop, Joint School of Nanoscience and Nanoengineering, Greensboro, NC (July 2016)
- American Association of University Women Triad Tech Savvy Day, Network Science Education, Greensboro, NC (April 2016)
- Piedmont Honor Band, Kernersville, NC (March 2019)
- Riverside High School, Williamston, NC (March 2019)
- Georgia Music Educators Association District II, Clinic Band Clinician, Waycross, GA (February 2017)
- Salisbury High School Symphonic Band, Guest Clinician, Salisbury, NC (May 2016)
- Georgia Music Educators Association District VIII, Honor Band Clinician, Norman Park, GA (February 2015)
- Middle School Band Directors Workshop (multiple days), Lowndes High School, Valdosta, Georgia (February 2020)
- Invited to be conductor of South Georgia Region Band – Middle School (spring 2020; rescheduled to Spring 2022)
- Served as Sight Reading Judge for Roanoke County Concert Band Assessment (March 2020)
- In response to COVID-19 circumstances, formed a new teacher support group for Spring 2020 graduates of MAED Music Education program through first year of teaching
Faculty Mentoring Grant (Virginia Tech)
Serving as guest teacher/lecturer as a coach for error detection in the wind band setting
Select Media Mentions
Recent Academic News