Office of Academic Programs
The Office of Academic Programs helps students achieve their educational goals and facilitates the work of the faculty in the School of Education. On this page, you will find SOE Graduate Student Resources, Educator Preparation and Accountability Measures, and links to Graduate School Resources.
The Virginia Tech School of Education offers graduate degrees in 15 areas of study and 5 certificate programs online and in locations throughout Virginia including Blacksburg, Roanoke, Richmond, Hampton Roads, Abingdon, and Northern Virginia. We offer degree programs in Teacher Education and Preparation in a variety of disciplines, as well as programs in Educational Leadership and Policy Studies, Higher Education, Counselor Education and Supervision, Instructional Design and Technology, Educational Psychology, Integrative STEM Education, and the interdisciplinary program, Foundations in Education. Complete information about our degree and certificate offerings can be found on our Academic Programs webpage.
Scroll down for further information! Still have questions? Contact Us!
The VT Graduate School requires that all graduate students complete a training in ethical issues and academic integrity as they relate to graduate education. The SOE has developed a training module to meet this requirement. Each program area has also identified course(s) that address ethical issues related to specific disciplines and professions.
The information below outlines how to meet the Ethics and Academic Integrity training requirement, organized by program. When students submit their Plan of Study to their advisor, they will need to provide evidence of their successful completion of the required training.
Note: Please use Firefox, Chrome or Internet Explorer to open the Ethics Modules.
In this section, you will find forms specific to the School of Education. Can't find a graduate student form you need? It will be found on the Graduate School website!
- Ed.S. Degree - Proposed Plan of Study
- Field Studies in Education Contract
- Independent Study Request Form
- Internship / Externship Education Contract
- M.A.Ed. Degree - Proposed Plan of Study
- Masters Thesis Final Examination Abstract
- M.S.Ed. Degree - Proposed Plan of Study
- Ph.D./Ed.D. Degree - Proposed Plan of Study
- Schedule Dissertation Prospectus Examination/Abstract
- Schedule Masters Thesis Prospectus Examination/Abstract
- Results of Dissertation Prospectus Examination
- Results of Masters Thesis Prospectus Examination
- Results of Qualifying Examination
- Supervision Monthly Travel Log
The Virginia Tech School of Education offers academic programs leading to licensure in the Commonwealth of Virginia for prospective elementary and secondary teachers, counselors, reading specialists, and PK-12 administrators and superintendents. All of our licensure programs meet appropriate approval and accrediting body standards of the Virginia Department of Education, the Council for the Accreditation of Education Preparation (CAEP), and/or the Council for the Accreditation of Counseling and Related Education Programs (CACREP).
Students who successfully complete the required state testing requirements, program coursework, and internship or student teaching through VT School of Education’s approved programs will satisfy the Virginia Department of Education’s (VA DOE) requirements for state licensure.
Students apply directly to the Virginia Department of Education for their license, which is issued after the VA DOE completes a full background check.
Virginia requires that teacher candidates pass a series of examinations to receive a license. Passing scores on Praxis II subject assessment and the Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment (VCLA) must be submitted prior to entering student teaching. The required Praxis II test is specific to the content area of the desired endorsement. Please see our initial teacher licensure site for information about which Praxis II subject area test is relevant for your desired program. Elementary teaching candidates must also pass the Reading for Virginia Educators (RVE) before being recommended for licensure.
- Assessment Requirements for Virginia Licensure (downloaded Microsoft Word includes passing scores for Praxis II, VCLA, and RVE)
- For more information about Praxis tests or to register on-line go to: www.ets.org
- Prometric Testing Center (for Praxis tests; downloadable PDF document)
- For more information about the VCLA or to register on-line go to: http://www.va.nesinc.com/
Possible Denial of a Teaching License
The Virginia Licensure Regulations for School Personnel (2007, p. 79) states these reasons for which a teaching license may be denied:
- Attempting to obtain such license by fraudulent means or through misrepresentation of material facts;
- Falsification of records or documents;
- Conviction of any felony;
- Conviction of any misdemeanor involving moral turpitude;
- Conduct with a direct and detrimental effect on the health, welfare, discipline, or morale of students;
- Revocation, suspension, or invalidation of the license by another state or territory; or
- Other good and just cause of a similar nature.
The Application for a Virginia License asks these questions and requests pertinent information:
- Have you ever been convicted of, or entered a plea of guilty or no contest to, a felony? (If yes, please attach a letter of explanation and a copy of the court documents indicating judgment and disposition of the case from the court of conviction.)
- Have you ever been convicted of, or entered a plea of guilty or no contest to, a criminal offense in another country? (If yes, attach a letter of explanation and a copy of the court documents indicating judgment and disposition of the case from the court of conviction.)
- Have you ever been convicted of, or entered a plea of guilty or no contest to, a misdemean or involving a child (minor)? (If yes, please attach a letter of explanation and a copy of the court documents indicating judgment and disposition of the case from the court of conviction.)
- Have you ever been convicted of, or entered a plea of guilty or no contest to, a misdemeanor involving drugs (not alcohol)? (If yes, please attach a letter of explanation and a copy of the court documents indicating judgment and disposition of the case from the court of conviction . )
- Have you ever had a teaching, administrator, pupil personnel services, or other education - related certificate or license revoked, suspended, invalidated, cancelled, or denied by another state, territory, or country; surrendered such a license; or had any other adverse action taken against such a license? (If yes, please attach a statement giving full details and official documentation of the action taken.)
- Have you ever been the subject of a founded complaint of child abuse or neglect by a child protection agency? (If yes, please attach a statement giving full details and official documentation of the founded complaint.)
- Have you ever left any education - or school - related employment, voluntarily or involuntarily, while the subject of an investigation, inquiry, or review of alleged misconduct or when you had reason to believe an investigation of alleged misconduct was under way or imminent? (If yes, please attach a statement giving full details and any official documentation available regarding the investigation, inquiry, or review.)
- To your knowledge, are you currently the subject of any investigation, inquiry, or review of alleged misconduct that could warrant discipline or termination by a school division or other education - related employer or an adverse action against a teaching, administrator, pupil personnel services, or other education - related license or certificate? (If yes, please attach a statement giving full details and any official documentation available regarding the investigation, inquiry, or review.)
If any of these situations apply to you, you must be aware of the possible impact on your future in education and the actions you must take immediately.
- If you may not be able to receive a teacher, school counselor, or administrator license in Virginia for any of the reasons above, you may not want to enroll or continue in a program in the School of Education that leads to licensure.
- If you choose to enroll in the program, we will try to place you in appropriate schools for your required field experiences. However, school division administrators have the right to refuse your placement in their schools, which will jeopardize our ability to find placement for you. If we cannot find a school division to approve placements for you, your advisor will work with you to seek an alternative assignment to the field experience so that you may complete your degree requirements. In this case, we will not be able to verify your application for a license because you will not have completed the full licensure program.
- If you do complete all the requirements for licensure, you must submit to the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) the required materials, such as those stated above. These materials will be reviewed by the Superintendent’s Investigative Panel and a decision regarding whether to issue a license will be made by the State Board of Education.
- If you were accused of a felony or a misdemeanor involving children or drugs but were acquitted or had your record expunged, you must immediately check with the courts to ensure that your record reflects the acquittal, or has been expunged, or charges were reduced to misdemeanors or charges not involving children or drugs. It is critical that you have documentation of the outcome for your records and to submit to the VDOE.
1750 Kraft Drive (0302), Blacksburg, VA 24061
OAP Associate Director:
Dr. Nancy Bradley
Associate Director, SOE
1750 Kraft Drive (0302), #2009
Assistant Director of Assessment and Accreditation:
Dr. Christine Christianson
1750 Kraft Drive (0302), #2008
Enrollment Services Specialist
1750 Kraft Drive (0302), #2605
Enrollment Services Assistant
1750 Kraft Drive (0302), #2603
Assessment Records Inquiries:
1750 Kraft Drive (0302), #2059
1750 Kraft Drive (0302), #2067
Administrative Support Analyst
1750 Kraft Drive (0302), #2058
Blacksburg, VA 24061