Carol A. Mullen
School of Education
1750 Kraft Drive, Room 2014
Blacksburg, VA 24061
540-231-3846 | email@example.com
Carol A. Mullen, a professor of educational leadership in Virginia Tech’s School of Education, specializes in mentoring theory and practice, creativity and innovation in learning, and values-oriented pedagogies for developing professionals and systems.
A past president of the National Council of Professors of Educational Administration, Mullen has authored or edited 21 scholarly books and 225 refereed journal articles and juried book chapters. She holds a doctoral degree and a master’s degree from the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education at the University of Toronto and a bachelor’s degree from York University in Toronto.
- Social Sciences
- Educational Leadership
- Curriculum Studies
- International Education
- PhD in Educational Curriculum and Teacher Development, University of Toronto/Ontario Institute for Studies in Education
- MA in Educational Curriculum and Teacher Development, University of Toronto/Ontario Institute for Studies in Education
- BA in Literature and Education, York University
- Board Member (elected), Executive Council, University Council for Educational Administration, three-year term, 2018 to present
- Officer (elected), Society of Professors of Education Executive Board, 2016-2019
- Chair, SPE William H. Watkins Award Committee, 2019
- Member, International Council of Professors of Educational Leadership’s Living Legends Awards Committee, 2018–19
- Member, Learning and Teaching in Educational Leadership Special Interest Group, American Educational Research Association, 2018
- Member, Kottkamp Outstanding Dissertation Award Committee, 2018
- Faculty Mentor, Early Career Scholar Mentoring Seminar, Division A, American Educational Research Association, 2018
- Faculty Mentor, UCEA Researcher Development Program, UCEA, 2018
- XCaliber Award for Excellence in Technology Assisted Teaching and Learning, Virginia Tech, 2020
- OISE Leaders and Legends: Excellence Award, Ontario Institute for Studies in Education, University of Toronto, 2020
- Theodore “Ted” Creighton Publication Innovation Award, International Council of Professors of Educational Leadership, 2020
- Editor Emerita, International Council of Professors of Educational Leadership, 2020
- Alumni Award for Excellence, Virginia Tech Alumni Association, 2019
- Society of Professors of Education Outstanding Book Award Honorable Mention for Creativity and Education in China: Paradox and Possibilities for an Era of Accountability, 2018
- U.S. Fulbright Specialist Award (Canada), 2017
- National Distinction Pool Award, Virginia Tech, President (national reputation/impact), 2017
- Living Legend Award, International Council of Professors of Educational Leadership, for lifetime contribution to the profession, 2017
- Distinguished Faculty Achievement Award for Service (to the profession), Learning and Teaching in Educational Leadership Special Interest Group, American Educational Research Association, 2017
- Best Paper Award from the Action Research Special Interest Group for “Reculturing Learning Organizations from the Inside to Diversify and Change: An Action Research Study” by C. A. Mullen, M. A. Rodríguez, & T. G. Allen, American Educational Research Association, 2017
- Excellence in Research and Creative Scholarship from the College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences, Virginia Tech, 2016–2017
- Jay D. Scribner Mentoring Award, University Council for Education Administration, 2016
- U.S. Fulbright Specialist Award (China), 2015
Mullen, C. A. (forthcoming). Revealing creativity: Exploration in transnational education cultures. Switzerland: Springer.
Mullen, C. A. (Ed.). (2019). Creativity under duress in education? Resistive theories, practices, and actions. Switzerland: Springer. (419 pp.) (ISBN#s 10: 3319902717; 13: 978-3319902715)
Mullen, C. A. (2017). Creativity and education in China: Paradox and possibilities for an era of accountability. New York: Routledge & Kappa Delta Pi. (202 pp.)
Mullen, C. A., & Lane, K. E. (Eds.). (2016). Global leadership for educational leaders. Ypsilanti, MI: NCPEA Publications. Retrieval: http://www.lulu.com/shop/carol-mullen-and- kenneth-lane/global-leadership-for-educational-leaders/paperback/product-22846465.html (298 pp.)
Tienken, C. H., & Mullen, C. A. (Eds.). (2016). Education policy perils: Tackling the tough issues. New York: Routledge & Kappa Delta Pi. (224 pp.)
Mullen, C. A., English, F. W., & Kealy, W. A. (2014). The leadership identity journey: An artful reflection. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield Education. (152 pp.)
Mullen, C. A., & *Robertson, K. C. (2014). Shifting to fit: The politics of Black and White identity in school leadership. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing. (186 pp.)
Mullen, C. A. (2020, in press). What does Canadian Indigenous literature impart about colonization and the future? The Educational Forum.
Mullen, C. A. (2019, in press). Does modality matter? A comparison of aspiring leaders’ learning online and face-to-face. Journal of Further and Higher Education.
Mullen, C. A. (2019, in press). Do Chinese learners have a creativity deficit in academic contexts? Kappa Delta Pi Record, 54(1).
Mullen, C. A. (2018). Advancing racial equality through insights from Canadian Indigenous art and literature. International Journal for Cross-Disciplinary Subjects in Education, 9(2).
Mullen, C. A. (2018). Creative learning: Paradox or possibility in China’s restrictive preservice teacher classrooms? Action in Teacher Education, 40(2), 186-202.
Mullen, C. A. (2018). Global leadership: Competitiveness, tolerance, and creativity—a Canadian provincial example. International Journal of Leadership in Education, 1-15.
Mullen, C. A., & Browne-Ferrigno, T. (2018). Teacher leadership and teaming: Creativity within schools in China. Research in Educational Administration and Leadership, 3(2), 231-255.
Mullen, C. A., & *Eadens, D. W. (2018). “Quality leadership matters”: A research-based survey of graduate programming. Journal of Research on Leadership Education, 3(2), 162-200.
- Mullen, C. A. (P.I.). (2018-19). Niles Research Grant. Awarded for study of creativity and accountability in Australia. College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences, VT.
- Mullen, C. A. (P.I.). (2018). Design and Develop Award.Funding awarded for the design and development of a master’s course (Curriculum Leadership) for distance delivery in a new online program. (Part of a joint Educational Leadership program proposal.) Office of the Provost; managed by Technology-enhanced Learning and Online Strategies (TLOS)
- Mullen, C. A. (P.I.). (2017). U.S. Fulbright Specialist Award. Research/teaching scholarship from the World Learning: Global Development & Exchange. A Program of the U.S. Department of State: the J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board and the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs. Country: Canada; Host Institution: University of Toronto; Site Visit: 2017. Was also a Visiting Professor. (Project ID: FSP-P000185)
- Mullen, C. A. (2016, 2017, 2018, & 2019). International Travel Supplemental Grant (for conference talks). Office of the Vice President for Research and Innovation, VT.
- Mullen, C. A. (P.I.). (2015). U.S. Fulbright Specialist Award. Selected by the J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board, U.S. Department of State: the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs and the Council for International Exchange of Scholars. Country: China; Host Institution: Southwest University, Chongqing; Site Visit: 2015. (Project ID: 6219)
- Mullen, C. A. (P.I). (2015). Interventions for learning in China that shape education policy and the civic society.Institute for Society, Culture, and Environment, Global Issues Initiative Research Support Program, Virginia Tech.
Select Media Mentions