School of Education
1750 Kraft Drive, Room 2068 (0302)
Blacksburg, VA 24061
540-231-8180 | email@example.com
Nancy Bodenhorn is an associate professor in the Counselor Education program. She worked as a school counselor for twenty years, in four states and three international schools. She has been a faculty member at Virginia Tech for twenty years, eight of which were as an administrator within the School of Education.
Courses taught: Doctoral level: Professional Seminar, Master's level: Internship, Practicum, Diversity, School Counseling, Theories and Techniques. Research interests: Progression from Master's to Doctoral in Counselor Education; School Counselor Self-Efficacy; School Counselor Ethics.
- Progression from Master's to Doctoral in Counselor Education
- School Counselor Self-Efficacy
- School Counselor Ethics
- Ph.D. Michigan State University, 2001, Counselor Education
- M.A.Ed. Duke University, 1991, Counseling
- B.S.Ed. Purdue Univeristy, 1977, Home Economics Education
- Association of Counselor Education and Supervision
- Editorial Boards
- Professional School Counseling (Editorial Board)
- Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (review team member)
- Excellence in Advising and Outstanding Mentor Award. College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences/Graduate School, 2019
- William H. Van Hoose Career Service Award. Virginia Counselors Association, 2017
- Certificate of Teaching Excellence, 2006
Sackett, C. R.*, Hartig, N., Bodenhorn, N., Farmer, L.B.*, Ghoston, M.R.*, Graham, J.*, & Lile, J.* (2015). Advising master’s students pursuing doctoral study: A survey of the counselor education and supervision field. The Professional Counselor, 5(4), 473-485. doi: 10.15241/crs.5.4.473.
Bodenhorn, N., Hartig, N., Ghoston, M.*, Graham, J.*, Lile, J.*, Sackett, C. R.*, and Farmer, L. B.* (2014). Counselor Education Faculty Positions: Requirements and Preferences in CESNET Announcements 2005-2009. Journal of Counselor Preparation and Supervision, 6(1), http://dx.doi.org/http://dx.doi.org/10.7729/51.1087
Bodenhorn, N., Wolfe, E. W., & Airen, O.* (2010). School counselor program choice and self-efficacy: Relationship to achievement gap and equity. Professional School Counseling, 13(3), 165-175.
Bodenhorn, N. (2006). Exploratory study of common and challenging ethical dilemmas experienced by school counselors. Professional School Counseling, 10(2), 195-202.
Bodenhorn, N. & Skaggs, G. (2005). Development of School Counseling Self-Efficacy Scale. Measurement and Evaluation in Counseling and Development, 38(1), 14-28.
Co PI: Nancy Bodenhorn and Nancy Bradley. Southwest Virginia Professional Education Consortium, VA Department of Education, USD 54,356 (Active: 07/01/2020 - 09/30/2021).
Co PI: Nancy Bodenhorn and Nancy Bradley. 2020- 2021 Clinical Faculty Grant. Virginia Department of Education.
Bodenhorn (2015-2019) Clinical Faculty Grant for Southwest Virginia Professional Education Consortium: A Continuum of Support for Teacher and Student Learning. Virginia Department of Education.
Select Media Mentions