- Place-based STEM Education
- Inquiry Pedagogy
- Sustainability Science Education
- Ecojustice Education
- Program Leader, Science Education
- Lead Editor, Cultural Studies of Science Education
- National Association for Research in Science Teaching
- Virginia Association of Science Teaching
- Ph.D., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- MAT, Duke University
- B.A., Duke University
Awards and Honors
- Excellence in Student Advising Award College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences, 2010
- International Outreach Award, School of Education, 2008
- Green, A., Brand, B. & Glasson, G. E. (2018). Applying actor-network theory to identify factors contributing to non-persistence of African American students in STEM Majors. Science Education.
- Duer, Z., Piilonen, L, & Glasson, G. E. (2018). Belle2VR - A virtual reality visualization of subatomic particle physics in the Belle II experiment. IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, 3(38), 33-43.
- Shin, M., Lee, S., & Glasson, G. E. (2016). Characterizing scientific inquiry found in science core high schools (SCHS) in Republic of Korea. Journal of Science Education, 17(1), 4-7.
- Lanier, M. & Glasson, G. E. (2014). Investigating Strategies for Enhancing Achievement for Urban African American Students in Middle School Science Classroom. Insights on Learning Disabilities: From Prevailing Theories to Validated Practices 11(1), 9-32.
- Glasson, G.E. (2011). Global environmental crisis: Is there a connection with place-based ecosociocultural education in rural Spain. Cultural Studies of Science Education, 6(2), 327-355.
- Glasson, G.E. (2010). Revitalization of the shared commons: education for sustainability and marginalized cultures. Cultural Studies of Science Education, 5(2), 373-381.
- Glasson, G.E., Mhango, N., Phiri, A., & Lanier, M. (2010). Sustainability science education in Africa: Negotiating indigenous ways of living with nature in the third space. International Journal of Science Education, 32(1), 125-14.
- Glasson, G.E., Frykholm, J., Mhango, N., & Phiri, A. (2006). Understanding the Earth Systems of Malawi: Ecological Sustainability, Culture, and Place-based Education. Science Education 90(4), 660-680.
- Madden AS, Hochella MF, Jr., Glasson GE, Grady JR, Bank TL, Green AM, Norris MA, Hurst D, and Eriksson SC (2012). Welcome to Nanoscience: Interdisciplinary Environmental Explorations, Grades 9–12. Wahington, DC: National Science Teachers Association Press.
- Klechaya, R. &; Glasson, G.E. (2017). Mindfulness and Place-based Education in Buddhist - oriented Schools in Thailand. In M. Powietrzynska and K. Tobin (Eds.) Weaving Complementary Knowledge Systems and Mindfulness to Educate Literate Citizenry for Sustainable and Healthy Lives (pp. 159-170). Rotterdam/Boston/Taipei: Sense Publishers.
- Glasson, G.E. (2015). Ponder this: Can ecojustice education go mainstream? In M. Mueller, and D. Tippins Ecojustice, citizen science and youth activism: Situated tensions for science education. (pp. 171-176). New York, NY: Springer Publishing Co.
- Glasson, G.E. (2013). Is there an App for that? Connecting Local Knowledge with Scientific Knowledge. In M. Mueller, D. Tippins, A. Stewart, (Eds.) Assessing Schools for Generation R (Responsibility): A Conversation to Guide Legislation and School Policy (pp. 215-225). New York, NY: Springer Publishing Co.
- Glasson, G.E. (2011). Eco-justice and Place-based Education in Africa: Connecting Indigenous Knowledge with Western Science. In D. Berlin and A. White (Eds.), International Innovations, Research, and Practices, (pp. 55-65). Columbus, OH: Thirteenth International Consortium for Research in Science and Mathematics Education.
- Glasson, G.E. (2010). Developing a sustainable agricultural curriculum in Malawi: Reconciling a colonial legacy with indigenous knowledge and practices. In DTippins, M. Mueller, M. van Eijck, & J. Adams (Eds.), Cultural Studies and Environmentalism: The Confluence of EcoJustice, Place-based (Science) Education, and Indigenous Knowledge System (pp. 151-164). New York, NY: Springer Publishing Co.
- Piilonen, L., Glasson, G.E., Polys, N., Webster, D., Ogle T. (2016). An Educational Tool to Explore the Dynamics of Subatomic Physics Interactions. Institute for Creativity, Arts, and Technology, Virginia Tech, $25,000.
- Schmittmann, B., Glasson, G.E., Brand, B.Piilonen, L., Simonetti, J .(2011 -2014) "TheVirginia Tech Phystec Project," Sponsored by Physics Teacher Education Coalition and National Science Foundation, $298,835.00.
- Evans, M.A. & Glasson, G.E. (2007). Mobile Learning Project: Connecting Knowledge Cultures for Local and Global Ecological Sustainability. Office of Educational Research and Outreach, School of Education, Virginia Tech. ($34,088).
- Frykholm, J, Glasson, G.E., & Vierling, L. (2000-04). Earth Systems Connections: An Integrated K-4 Science, Mathematics, and Technology Curriculum. National Aeronautics and Space Administration. Principal Investigator. ($471,000)