Department of English
313 Shanks Hall
181 Turner St. NW
Blacksburg, VA 24061
540-231-6919 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Virginia Fowler is a Professor in the Department of English.
- African-American Literature
- Women writers
- Poetry of Nikki Giovanni
- Gloria Naylor’s fiction
- Henry James
- Ph.D. English, U of Pittsburgh
- M.A. English, U of Pittsburgh
- B.A. English, U of Kentucky
- Director of Undergraduate Studies in English
- Director of Literature and Language Program
- Academy of Faculty Service, 2015
- College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Advising, 2012
- Denny C. Plattner Award for Outstanding Non-fiction, Appalachian Heritage, 2009
- Nikki Giovanni: A Literary Biography. Santa Barbara, CA: Praeger, 2013.
- Gloria Naylor: In Search of Sanctuary. New York: Twayne/Macmillan, 1996.
- Nikki Giovanni. New York: Twayne/Macmillan, 1992.
- Henry James's American Girl: The Embroidery on the Canvas. Madison, Wisconsin & London, England: The University of Wisconsin Press, 1984.
- Conversations With Nikki Giovanni. Jackson, Mississippi: The University Press of Mississippi, 1992.
- ""Tennessean by Birth"." Appalachian Heritage: A Literary Quarterly of the Southern Appalachians. 40.4 (2012): 14-22.
- “‘And This Poem Recognizes That’: Embracing Contrarieties in the Poetry of Nikki Giovanni.” In Her Words: Diverse Voices in Contemporary Appalachian Women’s Poetry, ed. by Felicia Mitchell, pp. 112-35. Knoxville: University of Tennessee Press, 2002.
- "A Nikki Giovanni Chronology." Appalachian Heritage: A Literary Quarterly of the Southern Appalachians. 40.4 (2012): 51-62
- “Nikki Giovanni’s Appalachian Ties.” Appalachian Heritage 36, 3 (2008): 42-50.
Select Media Mentions