Department of English
313 Shanks Hall
181 Turner Street NW
Blacksburg, VA 24061
540-231-6919 | email@example.com
Educated at the University of Kentucky and the University of Pittsburgh, Virginia Fowler is a Professor of English, where she directs undergraduate studies in English. She teaches courses in African-American literature, in women writers, and in the fiction of Toni Morrison.. She is currently an associate producer of a documentary film about Nikki Giovanni, which is being made by the Rada Film Group.
- The Fiction of Henry James
- American Literature
- Victorian Literature
- African-American Literature
- The Fiction of Toni Morrison
- Nikki Giovanni's Poetry
- The Black Arts Movement
- Ph.D., University of Pittsburgh (1976); M.A. University of Pittsburgh (1971); B.A., University of Kentucky (1969).
- Director of Undergraduate Studies, 2014- .
- Director of Literature and Language, 2013-17, 2019-
- Director of Literature, Language, and Culture, 2002-11
- Director of Graduate Studies, 1985-91
- Associate Department Head,1986-91
- Vice President, Phi Beta Kappa, 2012-13; President, 2013-14; Treasurer, 2014-
- Faculty Member, Presidential Global Scholars, 2013-14
- Commission on Undergraduate Studies and Policies, 2002-05 (Chair 2004-05); 2017-20
- Commission on Student Affairs, 2003-06
- University Council, 2004-05
- Editorial Board, Henry James Review, 1985-87
- Guest Editor, Special Issue on Gloria Naylor
- CLAHS Faculty Council, 2005-08; 2015-16
- Academy of Faculty Service
- CLAHS Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Advising
- CLAHS Diversity Award
- Department of English Diversity Award
- Denny C. Plattner Award for Outstanding Non-Fiction, Appalachian Heritage, 2009
- Nikki Giovanni: A Literary Biography. Praeger, 2013.
- Gloria Naylor: In Search of Sanctuary. Twayne/Macmillan, 1996
- Nikki Giovanni. Twayne/Macmillan, 1992.
- Henry James's American Girl: The Embroidery on the Canvas. U of Wisconsin, 1984
- Conversations With Nikki Giovanni (ed.). The University Press of Mississippi, 1992.
- "'Tennessean by Birth'." Appalachian Heritage: A Literary Quarterly of the Southern Appalachians. 40.4 (2012): 14-22.
- "A Nikki Giovanni Chronology." Appalachian Heritage: A Literary Quarterly of the Southern Appalachians. 40.4 (2012): 51-62.
- “Nikki Giovanni’s Appalachian Ties.” Appalachian Heritage 36, 3 (2008): 42-50.
- “A Conversation With Gloria Naylor.” In Gloria Naylor: In Search of Sanctuary; rpt. in Conversations With Gloria Naylor, ed. Maxine Lavon Montgomery, pp. 123-37.: University Press of Mississippi, 2004.
- “‘And This Poem Recognizes That’: Embracing Contrarieties in the Poetry of Nikki Giovanni.” In Her Words: Diverse Voices in Contemporary Appalachian Women’s Poetry, ed. by Felicia Mitchell, pp. 112-35. University of Tennessee Press, 2002.
Other Creative Works
- "Listening With Her Heart." In Grand Mothers: A Multicultural Anthology of Poems, Reminiscences, and Short Stories About the Keepers of Our Traditions, ed. Nikki Giovanni, 6-9. New York: Henry Holt, 1994. Reprinted for use by the Michigan Educational Assessment Program High School Pilot Test. Lansing: State of Michigan Department of Education, 1999.
Select Media Mentions