Derek N. Mueller
Department of English
315 Shanks Hall
181 Turner St. NW
Blacksburg, VA 24061
540-231-1738 | email@example.com
In 2019 I am continuing work with Rachel Gramer and Logan Bearden on an edited collection concerned with visual rhetorics in everyday administrative contexts, in effect inviting accounts located at the juncture between writing program administration and effective visual design (logos, maps, outcomes or course sequence diagrams, infographics, graphic arts collaborations, data visualizations, etc.).
For further information, please visit Mueller's personal website.
- Theories and Practices of Composition
- Research Methods and Methodologies
- New Media and Digital Rhetorics
- Network Studies
- Writing Pedagogies
- Ph.D. 2009, Composition and Cultural Rhetoric, Syracuse University
- M.A. 2000, English, University of Missouri-Kansas City
- B.A. 1996, English, Park College
- Director of Composition
- Conference on College Composition and Communication
- Rhetoric Society of America
- Board, Sweetland Digital Rhetoric Collaborative
- Editorial Board, Enculturation
- Network Sense: Methods for Visualizing a Discipline. #writing series. Fort Collins, Colorado: The WAC Clearinghouse and University Press of Colorado, 2017.
- Cross-Border Networks in Writing Studies co-authored with Jennifer Clary-Lemon, Louise Wetherbee Phelps, and Andrea Williams. Anderson, SC: Inkshed/Parlor P, 2017.
- “Polymorphic Frames of Pre-tenure WPAs: Seven Accounts of Hybridity and Pronoia,” co-authored with Laura Davies, Matt Dowell, Alanna Frost, Mike Garcia, Rik Hunter, and Kate Pantelides, Kairos 21.1 (August 2016). Web.
- “Eight Years a “Wooden Opponent”: Genre Change (and its Lack) in Campus Timely Warnings,” co-authored with Kate Pantelides and Gabe Green, Present Tense 5.3 (May 2016). Web.
- “Mapping the Resourcefulness of Sources: A Worknet Pedagogy,” Composition Forum 32 (Fall 2015). Web.
- “How to Travel in Time,” audio cut-up for “William S. Burroughs Teaches Writing” Response, Enculturation (Feb. 2015). Web.
- “Lessons in Generative Design, Publishing, and Circulation: What EM-Journal’s First Year Has Taught Us,” co-developed with Jana Rosinski, Becky Morrison, Chelsea Lonsdale, and Adam Nannini, Kairos 17.2 (Jan. 2013). Web.
- “Grasping Rhetoric and Composition by Its Long Tail: What Graphs Can Tell Us About the Field's Changing Shape,” College Composition and Communication 64.1 (Sept. 2012): 195-223. PDF
- “Views from a Distance: A Nephological Model of the CCCC Chairs' Addresses, 1977-2011,” Kairos 16.2 (Jan. 2012). Web.
- “Tracing Rhetorical Style from Prose to New Media: 3.33 Ways,” Kairos 16.2 (Jan. 2012). Web.
Select Media Mentions