To our graduates: we love to hear from you at all stages of your journey. If you’re planning a visit to campus, let us know, or share an update about your current success. You also have multiple opportunites to engage in the lives of students. Connect with us, for example, through our department magazine, Feast of Words.
Our Distinguished Alumni Board is active in representing the department, raising funds, and mentoring students.
We invite you to explore ways to get involved.
Share Your Expertise
We invite you to attend our career and leadership weekend in the spring. This event connects alumni with students through a series of resume reviews, mock interviews, and workshops on professionalism. We want you to share your knowledge and experience with our students.
If your organization would be interested in participating in career fairs, please email Jen Barton.
We encourage students to engage in hands-on learning that supports course content. Many students are interested in participating in an internship in a business or community organization and you may be able to help them locate such an opportunity. You may also know of research or service learning projects that would support classwork. Please contact us if you can help in this way.
We welcome alumni to speak with students and faculty about their work. To encourage students to take action in the world around them, we host presentations to inform them on a range of topics, from globalization to community impact, and to showcase a variety of industries. If you wish to volunteer to speak to a class or provide a lecture, please contact the department chair, Bernice Hausman.
Share Your Wealth
Our students benefit from the support of alumni and friends who invest in expanding opportunities. Gifts are made in two categories — annual and major — and include endowed scholarships, a program excellence endowed fund, and an endowed lecture.
Annual gifts of any size demonstrate your recognition of the value of your degree and your desire to see the program thrive. Please designate your annual gifts to the Department of English.
Distinguished Alumni Board
The department’s Distinguished Alumni Board represents a diverse group of alumni. Formed in 2003, the board plays an active role in representing the department, raising funds, enhancing visibility, developing connections, and mentoring students. Among their projects is the annual Career and Leadership Weekend. Board members visit campus to work one-on-one with students reviewing their resumes and conducting mock interviews. The members established the Distinguished Alumni Board Scholarship, supporting current students.
Board members have successful careers in fields ranging from law to teaching, financial services, nonprofit management, development, creative writing, editing, technical writing, and media services.
Distinguished Alumni Board Members
- John Archer, BA ’08, Regional Administrator, United Network for Organ Sharing, Richmond, Virginia
- Daniel Bailey, BA ’67, Pilot, American Airlines (retired), Danville, Virginia
- Mike Bedsaul, BA ’93, Attorney, Sands Anderson, PC, Blacksburg, Virginia
- Laurel Beedon, PhD ’74, English Education, Senior Analyst for the Education, Workforce, and Income Security Division of the U.S. Government Accountability Office (retired), Arlington, Virginia
- Patsy Brown, BA ’74, Proposal Manager, Northrop Grumman, Centreville, Virginia
- Steve Culver, MA ’81, Professor, Leadership Studies, North Carolina A & T State University, Greensboro, North Carolina
- Wanda Hawkins Dean, BA ’79, Vice Provost for Enrollment and Degree Management (retired), Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Virginia
- Clay Delk, BA ’02, MA ’03, Content Strategy Lead, Shopify, Oakland, California
- Lisa Derx, BA ’87, Vice President, Government Relations, Best Buddies, Dayton, Maryland
- Gina Desiderio Edmison, MA ’04, Director of Marketing and Communications, Healthy Teen Network, Ellicott City, Maryland
- Charles Epes, BA ’71, Communications Coordinator, Chesapeake Bay Foundation (retired), Richmond, Virginia
- Charles Fisher, BA ’88, Scrum Master and Agile Coach, Teradata, Cary, North Carolina
- Richard Glancy, BA ’66, Superintendent of Caroline County Schools (retired), Warsaw, Virginia
- Sandra Hagman, BA ’71, Learning Development Specialist (retired), Blacksburg, Virginia
- Paul Kennedy, BA ’76, Sportscaster, Sun Sports, Orlando, Florida
- Tim Larson, BA ’90, Senior Networking Engineer, Northrop Grumman, Ashburn, Virginia
- Katherine Lynde, BA ’95, MA ’97, Teacher, Blacksburg High School, Blacksburg, Virginia
- Donna Mitchell, ’84, First Vice President, Wealth Management, UBS Financial Services, Roanoke, Virginia
- Kelleigh Moyer, ’84, Director, Project Management Office, Robertson Marketing, Vinton, Virginia
- Carole Nickerson, ’84, ’86, Executive Assistant to the President, Emerita, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Virginia
- Marie Paretti, MA ’90, Associate Professor of Engineering Education, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Virginia
- Louisa Alice Peartree, BA ’88, Senior Associate Dean, Finance and Resource Management, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland
- Stuart Price, BA ’86, Environmental Communicator, Amelia Court House, Virginia
- Sandy Seay, BA ’66, Chief Executive Officer, Seay Management Consultants, Inc., Orlando, Florida
- Sharon Will, BA ’77, Judge, Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court (retired), Henrico County, New Kent, Virginia
- Mike Yergovich, BA ’66, National Security, Reston, Virginia