Charlene Eska is an associate professor in the Department of English.
- Early Irish Law
- Celtic Studies
- Medieval Literature
- PhD, Harvard University
- MA, Harvard University
- MSt, University of Oxford
- ALB, Harvard Extension School
- Excellence in Research and Creative Scholarship Award, College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences, Spring 2020.
- Certificate of Teaching Excellence Award, College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences, 2014
- A Raven’s Battle-Cry: The Limits of Judgment in the Medieval Irish Legal Tract Anfuigell. Leiden: Brill, 2019.
- Cáin Lánamna: An Old Irish Tract on Marriage and Divorce Law. Leiden: Brill, 2010. xix, 377.
- “Early Irish Trade: Cnóe Gnáe ‘Beautiful Nuts’ Revisited.” Cambrian Medieval Celtic Studies 78 (2019): 101–9.
- “Rethinking the Palaeography of H in Lebor na hUidre.” Peritia 29 (2018): 65–79.
- “The Palaeography of the Eleven Latin Citations in TCD MS 1337, pp. 329c–330c.” North American Journal of Celtic Studies 3 (2019): 47–54.
- “A Short Note on the National Library of Sweden MS Vitterhet Engelsk II.” North American Journal of Celtic Studies 2 (2018): 79–83.
- “An Early Irish Legal Commentary on Wakes and Funerals from Anfuigell ‘Wrong Judgment’.” North American Journal of Celtic Studies 1 (2017): 27–44.
- “The Abbreviation S.D. and Patterns of Ascription in the Corpus Iuris Hibernici.” Études Celtiques 42 (2016): 161–84.
- “Four Marginalia from Trinity College, Dublin MS 1433 [E.3.5].” Studia Celtica 49 (2015): 115–20.
- “Celtic and Germanic Light on Hittite Divorce Law.” Journal of Indo-European Studies 40 (2012): 300–14.
- “Varieties of Early Irish Legal Literature and the Cáin Lánamna Fragments.” Viator: Medieval and Renaissance Studies 40, no.1 (2009): 1–16.
- “Rewarding Informers in Cáin Domnaig and the Laws of Wihtred.” Cambrian Medieval Celtic Studies 52 (2006): 1–11.
- Visiting Fellowship, Magdalen College, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK. October 1–December 31, 2017.
- American Philosophical Society Franklin Research Grant, Summer 2015. ($6,000)
- “Raiding and Retaliation: Legal Raiding in Medieval Ireland,” Department of Anglo-Saxon, Norse, and Celtic. University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK. October 16, 2017.
- “A Reexamination of Hand H in Lebor na hUidre,” research seminar, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK. October 12, 2017.
- “Taking Another Look at the Palaeography of Hand H in Lebor na hUidre,” research seminar, Department of Anglo-Saxon, Norse, and Celtic. University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK. June 30, 2017.
- “Weddings and Funerals are What Family Feuds are Made of: An early Irish legal commentary from Anfuigell ‘Wrong Judgment’,” keynote address, Thirty-Fourth Annual Harvard Celtic Colloquium. Harvard University, Cambridge, MA. October 11, 2014.
Select Media Mentions
Recent Academic News
Page 1 of 2 | 15 Results