Justin Russell Greene
Justin Russell Greene is an instructor in the Department of English at Virginia Tech. His research centers on authorship studies; gender studies, particularly the performance of masculinity; cultural media studies; and celebrity/persona studies. His work seeks to uncover the intersections between media, sociocultural identities and discourses/institutions of power. Justin has published articles on the fashion of Jonathan Franzen and David Foster Wallace, the twitter presence of Tao Lin, the feminist digital identity of Roxane Gay, and the racial and gendered aspects of Quentin Tarantino’s The Hateful Eight. He is currently at work on a book-length study of the performance of masculinity in the films and public persona of Quentin Tarantino. Justin is a graduate of the interdisciplinary Media, Art and Text Ph.D. program at Virginia Commonwealth University.
- Authorship Studies
- Media Studies
- Celebrity and Persona Studies
- 20th and 21st century U.S. Literature
- Cultural Studies
- PhD in Media, Art, and Text, Virginia Commonwealth University, 2018
- MA in English with a concentration in Literary Studies, Virginia Commonwealth University, 2009
- BA in English, Virginia Commonwealth University, 2004
- M.A. Committee, Department of English, 2021–present
- Diversity Committee, Department of English, 2020–21
- “Dressing Up the Author: Jonathan Franzen and David Foster Wallace Branding Their Masculine Authorial Identities through Fashion,” Fashion, Style & Popular Culture, vol. 7, no. 4 (2020), 421-441.
- “Digitizing the Intersections: Roxane Gay's Online Performance of Authorial Identity,” Liminalities: A Journal of Performance Studies 15, no. 1 (2019), 1-27.
- “Tweeting the Author: Tao Lin’s Performance of Authorial Identity on Twitter.” Authorship 7, no. 1 (2018), 1-16.
- “Auteurist Socio-Cultural Critique: Quentin Tarantino’s The Hateful Eight as Historical Present.” The Projector: A Journal on Film, Media, and Culture 17, no. 2 (Summer 2017), 32-49.
- CINE 2054: Introduction to Cinema
- ENGL 2634: Writing and Social Justice
- ENGL 1105: First-Year Writing—Introduction to College Composition
- ENGL 1106: First-Year Writing—Writing from Research
Select Media Mentions
Recent Academic News