Department of English
210 Shanks Hall
181 Turner St. NW
Blacksburg, VA 24061
Jeff Mann has published six books of poetry, Bones Washed with Wine, On the Tongue, Ash, A Romantic Mann, Rebels, and Redneck Bouquet; three collections of essays, Edge, Binding the God, and Endangered Species; a book of poetry and memoir, Loving Mountains, Loving Men; six novels, Fog, Purgatory, Cub, Salvation, Country, and Insatiable; and three volumes of short fiction, A History of Barbed Wire, Desire and Devour, and Consent. With Julia Watts, he co-edited LGBTQ Fiction and Poetry from Appalachia. The winner of two Lambda Literary Awards and four National Leather Association-International literary awards, he teaches creative writing at Virginia Tech.
- Gay literature
- Appalachian literature
- Icelandic sagas
- Norse mythology
- American Civil War
- MA in English, West Virginia University, 1984.
- BA in English, West Virginia University, 1981.
- BSR in Nature Interpretation, 1981.
- Member, Associated Writing Programs
- Member, Appalachian Studies Association
- Cynthia Slater Nonfiction Article Award for “In Defense of Erotica,” 2018.
- Pauline Réage Novel Award for Salvation: A Novel of the Civil War, 2015.
- Lambda Literary Award for Salvation: A Novel of the Civil War, 2015.
- Out in Print’s “Best of 2014” for Cub.
- Out in Print’s “Best 13 Reads for 2013” for A Romantic Mann.
- Saints and Sinners Literary Festival Hall of Fame, 2013.
- Out in Print’s “Best of 2012” for Purgatory: A Novel of the Civil War, 2012.
- Rainbow Award, First Place in the Best Gay Historical Category for Purgatory: A Novel of the Civil War, 2012.
- Pauline Réage Novel Award for Fog: A Novel of Desire and Reprisal, 2012.
- Jerome Niles Dean’s Faculty Research Award, 2011-12.
- Winner, Established Poets’ Contest, Metrorail Public Art Project, 2011.
- John Preston Short Fiction Award for “Kidnapping Chris,” 2009.
- Lambda Literary Award for A History of Barbed Wire, 2007.
- College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences Certificate of Teaching Excellence, 2007.
- Redneck Bouquet: Gay Poems from Appalachia (poems). Amherst, Massachusetts: Lethe Press, 2020. (107 pp.)
- Endangered Species: A Surly Bear in the Bible Belt (essays). Amherst, Massachusetts: Lethe Press, 2019. (354 pp.)
- LGBTQ Fiction and Poetry from Appalachia (anthology co-edited with Julia Watts). Morgantown, West Virginia: West Virginia University Press, 2019. (288 pp.)
- Insatiable (novel). Amherst, Massachusetts: Unzipped Books/Lethe Press, 2017. (267 pp.)
- Consent (short fiction). Maple Shade, New Jersey: Unzipped Books/Lethe Press, 2017. (280 pp.)
- Country (novel). Maple Shade, New Jersey: Lethe Press, 2016. (418 pp.)
- Rebels (poems). Maple Shade, New Jersey: Lethe Press, 2015. (172 pp.)
- Salvation: A Novel of the Civil War (novel). Maple Shade, NJ: Bear Bones Books/Lethe Press, 2014. (290 pp.)
- Cub (novel). Maple Shade, NJ: Bear Bones Books/Lethe Press, 2014. (226 pp.)
- A Romantic Mann (poems). Maple Shade, NJ: Lethe Press, 2013. (134 pp.)
- Desire and Devour: Stories of Blood and Sweat (short fiction). Maple Shade, NJ: Bear Bones Books/Lethe Press, 2012. (202 pp.)
- Purgatory: A Novel of the Civil War (novel). Maple Shade, NJ: Bear Bones Books/Lethe Press, 2012. (286 pp.)
- Fog: A Novel of Desire and Reprisal (novel). Maple Shade NJ: Bear Bones Books/Lethe Press, 2011. (228 pp.)
- Ash: Poems from Norse Mythology (poetry). Bar Harbor, ME: Rebel Satori Press, 2011. (136 pp.)
- Binding the God: Ursine Essays from the Mountain South (personal essays). New London, CN: Bear Bones Books/Lethe Press, 2010. (232 pp.)
- A History of Barbed Wire (short fiction). San Francisco: Suspect Thoughts Press, 2006. (208 pp.)
- On the Tongue (poetry). Arlington, VA: Gival Press, 2006. (86 pp.)
- Loving Mountains, Loving Men (memoir and poetry). Athens, OH: Ohio University Press, 2005. (218 pp.)
- Bones Washed with Wine (poems). Arlington, VA: Gival Press, 2003. (77 pp.)
- Edge (personal essays). Binghamton, NY: Harrington Park Press/Haworth Press, 2003. (183 pp.)
- Flint Shards from Sussex (poems). Arlington, VA: Gival Press, 2000. (33 pp.)
- Mountain Fireflies (poems). Yosemite, CA: Poetic Matrix Press, 2000. (25 pp.)
- Bliss (poems). Baltimore: BrickHouse Books, 1998. (40 pp.)
- ENGL 4684/Old Norse Literature: Land into Legend
- ENGL 4954/Study Abroad
- ENGL 5774/Editing a Literary Journal
- ENGL 6734/Graduate Creative Nonfiction Workshop
- ENGL 6704/Graduate Fiction Workshop
- ENGL 6714/Graduate Poetry Workshop
- ENGL 5744/Graduate Form and Theory of Poetry
- ENGL 3724/Creative Nonfiction Workshop
- ENGL 3714/Poetry Workshop
- ENGL 3704/Fiction Workshop
- ENGL 4704/Advanced Fiction Workshop
- ENGL 2744/Introduction to Creative Writing
- HUM 4404/Appalachian Folk Culture
- ENGL 1105/Composition and Rhetoric
- ENGL 1106/Composition and Rhetoric
- ENGL 2525/American Literature I
- ENGL 2526/American Literature II
- ENGL 2024 /Introduction to Poetry
- ENGL 2334/Introduction to Satire
- ENGL 3614/Southern Literature
- HUM 1704/Introduction to Appalachian Studies
- HONORS 3004/Honors Colloquium: Confessional Poetry
- ENGL 4684/Special Study in Gay and Lesbian Literature
- ENGL 3624/Appalachian Literature
- Iceland Study Abroad, Spring Break 2020
- London Study Abroad, Summer 2015.
Select Media Mentions
Recent Academic News