We encourage you to study abroad for an extraordinary experience away from campus. Our department offers three programs to deepen your educational experience:
Earn academic credit while you're away through faculty led programs, enrollment in a bi-lateral exchange programs, or direct enrollment in programs across the world.
English Study Abroad opportunities
Education Abroad Opportunities and Scholarships
- Types of Education Abroad Programs
- Consortium of Universities for International Studies
Virginia Tech participates in this program for business and undergraduate and graduate students. Based in Italy, CIU features a residential campus and faculty from 40 U.S. universities. More information is available at www.cimbaitaly.com.
- If you are on academic suspension, you may not take courses for transfer.
- Credit hours transfer; grades do not
- A limited number of credit hours may be transferred; see your course catalogue for more transfer credit policies
- Major upper-level courses are more difficult to transfer than lower-level elective courses because there are not exact equivalents; you should plan to take most major courses at Virginia Tech (of the last 45 hours before graduation, only 18 can be transferred).
If you decide to take courses elsewhere and want to transfer them to Virginia Tech, you should follow these steps:
- Complete the study abroad form, meet with your advisor, and obtain the required signatures.
- Investigate the courses that you want to take; gather information about academic level, hours, and content. You can usually find this information on the institution’s website.
- Submit the completed form to 238 Wallace Hall for Dean's Office approval. Please submit this form prior to studying aborad to ensure that the courses you take will have a Virginia Tech equivalency.
- Upon completion of the courses, request an official transcript to be sent to the Virginia Tech Registrar’s Office.
The College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences awards scholarships each semester for students participating in education abroad. Scholarships vary in value from $250-$1,000.
Round 1: Sept 17-Oct 7, 2018
Round 2: Jan 15-Feb 10, 2019