Scholarships: The English Department also offers the Charles Modlin Memorial Study Abroad Scholarship. For summer or fall programs, please submit your application by February 27.

Education Abroad Opportunities

Types of Education Abroad Programs

There are four types of programs available:

Consortium of Universities for International Studies

Virginia Tech participates in this program for undergraduate and graduate students. Based in Italy, CIU features a residential campus and faculty from 40 U.S. universities. More information is available at

Department Programs

  • London Calling!, a chance to study literature, theatre, social issues, and public discourse in one of the world's greatest capitals
  • Loughborough University, a year- or semester-long exchange with a university in England's beautiful Midlands
  • Wintermester Abroad, programs in Myanmar (2015-2016) and Jordan (2016-2017)
Academic Credit

Transferring Courses from Other Institutions

For the most comprehensive transfer information, see the Registar's Transfer Guide.

Students may decide to take courses at other colleges or universities. Please consider the following transfer policies:

  • If you are on academic suspension, you may not take courses for transfer.
  • Hours transfer; grades do not.
  • A limited number of courses may be transferred.
  • Major upper-level courses are more difficult to transfer than are lower-level elective courses because there are not equivalents. You should plan to take major courses, for the most part, at Virginia Tech. 

Authorization to Take Courses Elsewhere

If you decide to take courses elsewhere and want to transfer them to Virginia Tech, you should follow these steps:

  1. Complete the study abroad form, meet with your advisor, and obtain the required signatures.
  2. Investigate the courses that you want to take; gather information about academic level, hours, and content. You can usually find this information on the institution’s website.
  3. Submit the completed form to 238 Wallace Hall for Dean's Office approval. Please submit this form prior to studying aborad to ensure that the courses you take will have a Virginia Tech equivalency.
  4. Upon completion of the courses, request an official transcript to be sent to the Virginia Tech Registrar’s Office.