- History of rhetoric
- Contemporary rhetorical theory
- Rhetoric of health and medicine
- Director, Rhetoric and Writing PhD Program
- Rhetoric Society of America
- Conference on College Composition and Communication
- Association for the Rhetoric of Science and Technology
- BA, English, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill
- MA, English, North Carolina State University
- PhD, English, Purdue University
Pender, Kelly. Being at Genetic Risk: Toward a Rhetoric of Care. Penn State University Press, 2018.
Pender, Kelly. Techne, From Neoclassical to Postmodernism: Understanding Writing as a Useful, Teachable Art. Parlor Press, 2011.
- Pender, Kelly. “Somatic Individuality in Context, A Comparative Case Study.” Public Understanding of Science, vol. 27, no. 3, 2018, pp. 5-18.
- “Genetic Subjectivity in situ: A Rhetorical Reading of Genetic Determinism and Genetic Opportunity in the Biosocial Community of FORCE.” Rhetoric and Public Affairs 15.2 (2013): 319-349
- “Philosophies of Invention Twenty Years After The Making of Knowledge in Composition” in The Changing of Knowledge in Composition: Contemporary Perspectives, eds. Lance Massey and Richard Gebhardt. Logan, UT: Utah State Press, 2011, 63-83.
- “Negation and the Contradictory Technics of Rhetoric.” Rhetoric Society Quarterly 38.1 (2008): 2-24.