- Displacement Narratives
- Human Rights Rhetorics
- Identity and Self-representation
- Performative Autobiography
- Director, Center for Rhetoric in Society 2016-present
- Co-Founder, VT Stories
- Director, Women’s and Gender Studies 2010-2016
- Ph.D. University of Louisville
- M.A. George Mason University
- B.A. Mary Washington College
Awards and Honors
- Voice of Witness Story Lab
College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences Outstanding Research Award, 2016
- Diggs Teaching Scholar Award, 2015
- Excellence in Outreach Award, 2012
- Sturm Award in Research Excellence, 2010
- National Endowment for the Humanities Fellowship, 2005-2006
Identity and Power in Narratives of Displacement, Routledge, 2015
The Anguish of Displacement: The Politics of Literacy in the Letters of Mountain Families in Shenandoah National Park, University of Virginia Press, 2007
Practicing Research in Writing Studies: Reflexive and Ethically Responsible Research, Hampton Inc Press, 2012
- Powell, Katrina M., *Jenny Dick-Mosher, Anisa Zvonkovic, and Pamela Teaster. “Displacing Marginalized Bodies: How Human Rights Discourses Function in the Law and in Communities.” International Journal for the Semiotics of Law. 28.2 (Online 19 Aug 2015).
- Powell, Katrina M. “Converging Crises: Rhetorical Constructions of Eugenics and the Public Child.” JAC: Journal of Rhetoric, Culture & Politics 33.3 (2013): 455-485.
- Powell, Katrina M. “Rhetorics of Displacement: Constructions of Identity in Forced Relocations.” College English 74.4 (March 2012): 297-322.
- Powell, Katrina M. “Representing Human Rights Violations in Multi-Media Contexts.” In ‘We Shall Bear Witness’: Critical Conversations in Life Writing, Testimony and Human Rights. Ed. Meg Jensen and Margaretta Jolly. Madison: University of Wisconsin Press, 2014. 196-213.
National Endowment for the Humanities Fellowship, 2005-2006
South Atlantic Humanities Fellowship 2008-2009
Powell, Katrina M., Assistant Producer. “Rothstein’s First Assignment.” Directed by Richard Knox Robinson, Ekphratic Productions LLC, 2010