Elementary Education (Professional Licensure , PK-6)
(M.A.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction)
The Elementary Education (PK-6) program prepares students to become licensed elementary teachers in the State of Virginia.
Campus: Virginia Tech Blacksburg Campus
Instructions: Residential/On Campus
The Elementary Education Program is designed to prepare elementary teachers for 21st Century classrooms.
VDOE Approved Licensure Program
100% Faculty Commitment
Our Elementary Education Program
The Elementary Education Program at Virginia Tech is a Master's degree program that prepares students to become licensed elementary teachers (PK-6) in the state of Virginia. Elementary Education is a full-time program offered on the Blacksburg campus only; there are no distance learning options.
Why Study Elementary Education Here?
- Multiple placements in local school districts with diverse student populations
- STEM course focused on inquiry-based instruction and methodology
- Examination of a variety of instructional approaches across content areas
- Planning lessons that provide for differentiation, accommodation, and modification to meet the needs of all students
- Implementation of the Universal Design for Learning (UDL) and Understanding by Design (UbD) Frameworks and the 5 E Model
- Engagement in ongoing inquiry into teaching and learning
- Practice in the examination of classroom management and design
What You'll Study
The MAEd-Elementary Education program requires completion of 58 graduate credit hours in education and can be completed in 12 months if specific graduate level education courses are taken during the bachelor's program. In order to be eligible for 5000-level courses, an undergraduate must be a senior and have a 3.0 GPA. Dual/Accelerated status is NOT required for this option.
If the EDCI 5554 Educating Exceptional Learners Across the Life Span and EDEP 5154 Psychological Foundations for Teachers they can be completed Summer I or Summer II. This may result in a 14-month program. Completing the program in 14 months, instead of 12, does not delay your degree/license, nor does it prevent you from applying for a teaching position.
- EDCI 5554 Educating Exceptional Learners across the Lifespan
- EDEP 5154 Psychological Foundations for Teachers
- EDCI 5214 Linguistic Theory and Instruction in Reading and Written Expression
- EDCI 5234 Advanced Curriculum & Instruction in Elementary/Middle Math
- EDCI 5414 Theory & Practice in Early Literacy Instruction (PK-3)
- EDCI 5784 Graduate Seminar: Research on Assessing Student Achievement in Math
- EDCI 5224 Advanced Curriculum & Instruction in Elementary/Middle Social Studies
- EDCI 5244 Advanced Curriculum & Instruction in Elementary/Middle Science
- EDCI 5424 Theory & Practice in Content Literacy Instruction (3-6)
- EDCI 5784 Advanced Curriculum and Instruction in Elementary Math, Grades 4-8
- EDCI 5964 Field Studies (6 hrs.)
- EDCI 5204 Elementary School Curriculum
- EDCI 5754 Internship in Education (9 hrs.)
- EDCI 5784 Elementary STEM Education
- EDCI 5784 Culturally Responsive Teaching & Classroom Management
Career and Professional Development
In this program, students become licensed elementary teachers (PK-6) in the state of Virginia. Elementary Education Program faculty and staff strive to identify and recruit talented and knowledgeable elementary teacher candidates, especially from diverse linguistic and cultural backgrounds. The program at Virginia Tech provides coursework and experiences within public schools in the region.
This degree program is offered at the Blacksburg campus. The Blacksburg campus offers students the full services of the university, including an extensive library, technology support, and the Graduate Life Center.
Our Elementary Faculty
Students interested in applying to the Elementary Education (PK-6) should contact Dawn Knight, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit our office at 402 Wallace Hall Blacksburg, Virginia 24061
This program is offered to State of Virginia Licensure applicants only.
School of Education
Public Safety Building
Suite 201 (0313)
330 Sterrett Drive
Blacksburg, VA 24061