*For School of Education, contact: Dr. Jay Wilkins
*For Department of Mathmatics, contact: Dr. Andy Norton
*Endorsements and degrees in mathematics education can be obtained
through either of two departments: Department of Mathmatics or School of Education.
The Mathematics Education program at Virginia Tech unites faculty and students from the Mathematics Department and School of Education. Our research focuses on understanding how students learn mathematics, which informs curriculum design, teaching practices, and assessment instruments. We seek to establish equitable learning environments that take advantage of current research and technology.
Specific faculty research interests include the following:
- K-12 students' learning of fractions and algebra
- The learning and teaching of college mathematics courses, especially linear algebra
- Quantitative literacy
- Students' mathematical conjecturing
- Teaching of probability and statistics
- Professional development of k-12 teachers
- Supporting students' learning through appropriate use of technology
Graduate students can earn Master's or Doctoral degrees from either the School of Education or the Math Department. Both of the PhD programs prepare graduates to become leaders in mathematics education research. Research and teaching assistantships are available. Please click the Programs and Admissions tab for more information.