Call for Proposals for Departmental Diversity Grants
February 3, 2021
The Departmental Diversity Grants program supports efforts to build an inclusive and equitable environment in the College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences. The college recognizes that diversity invigorates and enlivens the exchange of ideas, broadens scholarship, and contributes to just engagement in all the world’s communities.
The college invites proposals for projects that meet two or more of the following criteria:
- Advance scholarly, curricular, and/or public engagement projects that center the knowledges of historically marginalized groups
- Engage multiple populations, including those that are historically underrepresented in higher education in the United States
- Increase access to opportunities and resources
- Prioritize equity in decision-making, power-sharing, and resource distribution in their design and implementation
- Help fulfill departmental or college diversity plan goals
Funding for projects range from $2,500 to $10,000. Funds may be used only for expenses clearly and directly related and necessary to implementation of the proposed project. No faculty salary will be allowed. Applications with potential for additional funding outside the college will be given priority, as will applications in which the involved department or departments provide financial support.
This program is open to all departments and schools within the College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences. Proposals may involve more than one department or school. Departments may submit more than one proposal in a funding cycle. Participation by faculty, staff, graduate students, and undergraduate students is encouraged, although faculty and staff should provide oversight for proposals to be implemented primarily by students.
An electronic copy of the application must be submitted as .DOC or .PDF to Randa Freeborn (email@example.com). Deadline for receipt of all applications is March 31, 2021 at 4 p.m.
If the applicant has not been awarded this grant before, they should contact Shaila Mehra (firstname.lastname@example.org) to discuss their project prior to submitting the proposal.
A complete application will include, in the following order:
- Project Description (limited to three single-spaced pages, including bibliographic references), which indicates how the project meets criteria of the grants program and addresses the following topics: (A) Specific Aims; (B) Project Design); (C) Management Plan and Timeline; and (D) Continuing Impact;
- Brief Biographical Sketches of Key Participants (four pages maximum);
- Project Budget (itemization needed for all expenses and additional confirmed sources of funding);
- Letter of endorsement from department head (if project involves more than one department, all heads must endorse — one letter with multiple signatures is permitted); and
- Appendices (if needed), including letters of agreement and/or IRB requirements.
All applications will be reviewed by a selection committee drawn from the college’s Diversity Committee. The committee will send a ranking of the proposals to the dean, who will make the final selections.
Recipients will be expected to share the project and its outcome with the College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences community. A final report including results of the project, how it made a difference within your department/unit in terms of supporting diversity and inclusion, and any recommendations you might have to extend your project’s goals to other units within the college or the university must be submitted to the dean of the college no later than June 30, 2022.
A downloadable summary of this call for proposals is available here.