Annual Staff Award Nominations Sought
January 12, 2021
Virginia Tech values the contributions of more than 10,000 employees. Thanks to their efforts, the university continues to grow, innovate, and remain a great place to learn and work.
Each year, the university offers multiple award programs to recognize employees for their commitment to the university and community, new ideas, and teamwork.
Nominations are being accepted for the McComas Staff Leadership Award, President’s Award for Excellence, Staff Career Achievement Award. All nominations are due Monday, February 15 at 5 p.m. and must be submitted electronically.
See below for more information and nomination guidelines on each award.
McComas Staff Leadership Award: Sponsored by the Division of Human Resources and the Commission for Staff Policies and Affairs, this award recognizes non-student wage and staff employees who regularly demonstrate the behaviors of a strong leader in support of the goals of the university, college, senior management area, or department.
- Classified and university staff and non-student hourly wage positions are eligible. Employees must have worked for the university for at least one year.
- Nominees do not need to be in a management or supervisory position.
- Award winners will receive a $500 pre-tax award, a framed certificate, and will be recognized at the annual McComas Staff Leadership Virtual Seminar.
President’s Award for Excellence: Sponsored by the Office of the President and the Division of Human Resources, this award recognizes outstanding contributions and excellent performance of salaried classified and university staff employees.
- Employees may nominate other eligible employees based on the established nomination guidelines. Self-nominations are not accepted.
- Award winners will receive a letter of commendation from the president, a framed certificate, and a $2,000 pre-tax award.
Staff Career Achievement Award: This award recognizes the contributions of retiring staff members who retired the previous year and who distinguished themselves through exemplary performance and service during their career.
- Full-time university or classified staff who served a minimum of 10 years at Virginia Tech, retired the previous year, and had a history of outstanding performance are eligible.
- A dean or vice president must submit nominations, and all required documents must be submitted electronically.
- Award winners will receive a $2,000 pre-tax award.
Please consider nominating a deserving employee for one of the above awards.