Explore Liberal Arts and Human Sciences (undecided)
Why Study Liberal Arts and Human Sciences at Virginia Tech?
We understand your challenge: with over 40 majors, narrowing your choice to only one or two can be tough. Fortunately, we offer an undecided designation which allows you to explore multiple majors before declaring the one that’s right for you.
Average Class Size
Dedicated Faculty Members
Beyond the Classroom
By working in the field, you'll earn job experience and apply your knowledge. You will have the opportunity to explore potential career paths and network with professionals.
Studying abroad gives you the opportunity to connect with a different culture, experience new ways of thinking, and explore new places, all while gaining unique understanding and perspectives. Over 1,300 students study abroad each year, going on faculty-led trips, enrolling in international programs, or studying at partner universities.
What You'll Study
Example Freshman Schedule
- First-Year Experience for Liberal Arts
Selecting a major is a process that takes time. We provide a supportive academic environment for you to complete degree requirements while learning more about your interests. As an incoming freshman, you will work with a dedicated academic advisor to explore your strengths, interests, and goals before choosing the right major. Your course schedule will be created individually and tailored to your interests while fulfilling general education requirements. You have up to two years to explore, but most students declare a major much sooner.
In the first-year experience course, you will explore different topics, ideas, majors, and careers. Most of our students graduate in four years as long as they work closely with their advisor, earn passing grades, and declare a major in two years.
- Career and Technical Education
- Career and Technical Education - Agricultural Education
- Childhood Pre-Education
- Classical Studies
- Consumer Studies
- Creative Writing
- Elementary Education (PK-6)
- English Language Arts Education
- Environmental Policy and Planning
- EUropean and Transatlantic Studies
- Explore Liberal Arts and Human Sciences (undecided)
- Family and Consumer Sciences
- Fashion Merchandising and Design
- History and Social Sciences Education
- Human Development
- Humanities for Public Service
- International Public Policy
- International Relations
- International Studies
- Mathematics Education
- Multimedia Journalism
- National Security and Foreign Affairs
- Philosophy, Politics, and Economics
- Political Science
- Professional and Technical Writing
- Property Management
- Public Relations
- Religion and Culture
- Residential Environments and Design
- Smart and Sustainable Cities
- Sports Media and Analytics
Discover all that Virginia Tech has to offer inside and outside of the classroom. Our campus life aims to build communities, promote holistic education, and cultivate environments that offer opportunities for leadership, innovation, and service.