- Violence in popular film
- Inequality (age, gender)
- Department Graduate Committee (chair)
- IT Committee, GSA (past chair)
- Ph.D. UC Santa Barbara
Gender in Film and Video. New York: Routledge, 2019.
The Passion of the Christ. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2011
Heroes in Hard Times: Cop Action Movies in the U.S. Philadelphia: Temple University Press, 1999.
Reel Knockouts: Violent Women in the Movies. Austin, Texas: University of Texas Press, 2001. Co-edited with Martha McCaughey.
King, Neal and Toni Calasanti. 2013. “Men’s aging amidst intersecting relations of inequality.” Sociology Compass 7:699–710.
King, Neal. 2013. “Calling Dirty Harry a liar: A critique of displacement theories of popular criminology.” New Review of Film and Television Studies 11:171-190.
King, Neal and Toni M. Calasanti. 2009. “Ageing agents: Social gerontologists’ imputations to old people.” International Journal of Sociology and Social Policy 29:38-48.
King, Neal. 2008. “Generic womanhood: Gendered depictions in cop action cinema.” Gender & Society 22:238-260.
- Production of violent film genres
- feminism in mean girl movies
- history of cop action movies
- Men's occupational aging
- masculinity as culture
- class differences in men's occupational ageing
- Age relations as social inequality
- doing age: age as interactional accomplishment
- knowing old: epistemology of age relations