We encourage you to study abroad for an extraordinary experience away from campus. Programs are available across the world for you to travel for a week, a winter, a summer, a semester, or even for a year - all while working toward graduation. Earn academic credit while you're away through faculty-led programs, enrollment in a bi-lateral exchange program, or direct enrollment in programs across the world. See your advisor to learn more about upcoming study abroad programs and check out what is available from the Global Education Office.
Education Abroad Opportunities and Scholarships
Visit the Global Education Office website for details on programs available, travel guidelines, and scholarships.
- If you are on academic suspension, you may not take courses for transfer.
- Credit hours transfer; grades do not
- A limited number of credit hours may be transferred; see your course catalogue for more transfer credit policies
- Major upper-level courses are more difficult to transfer than lower-level elective courses because there are not exact equivalents; you should plan to take most major courses at Virginia Tech (of the last 45 hours before graduation, only 18 can be transferred).
If you decide to take courses elsewhere and want to transfer them to Virginia Tech, you should follow these steps:
- Complete the study abroad form, meet with your advisor, and obtain the required signatures.
- Investigate the courses that you want to take; gather information about academic level, hours, and content. You can usually find this information on the institution’s website.
- Submit the completed form to Liberal Arts and Human Sciences Building, 200 Stanger Street, for Dean's Office approval. Please submit this form prior to studying aborad to ensure that the courses you take will have a Virginia Tech equivalency.
- Request that your official transcript be sent to the Global Education Office (or ISEP if applicable). Transcripts MUST arrive in a sealed envelope:
Global Education Office (room 131)
526 Prices Fork Road
Blacksburg, VA 24061, USA
The College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences awards scholarships each semester for students participating in education abroad. Scholarships vary in value from $250-$1,000.