Department of Modern and Classical Languages and Literatures
331 Major Williams
220 Stanger Street
Blacksburg, VA 24061
540-231-5622 | email@example.com
Patrick Thomas Ridge is an assistant professor of Spanish in the Department of Modern and Classical Languages and Literatures. While his current research focuses primarily on the literary and cultural representations of soccer in Latin America, he also specializes in film and media studies. He has published on the documentaries of World Cup ’78 in Argentina, homoaffectivity in the Mexican Netflix series Club de Cuervos, masculinity in Brazilian soccer films, and violence in contemporary Spanish cinema. He has recently taught courses on Latin American documentary, soccer, and Mexican and Central American literature and culture. As a certified medical interpreter, he also teaches Spanish for the Medical Professions. He earned his Ph.D. in Spanish from Arizona State University and MA from the University of Louisville.
- Soccer in Latin America
- Latin American film and media studies
- Masculinity in Latin America
- Mexican and Brazilian chronicle
- Border film
- PhD, Arizona State University
- MA, University of Louisville
Ridge, Patrick. “Be like Mike: Mise-en-scène, Sport, and Globalization in Pedro Almodóvar’s Carne trémula.” Contrapuntos VIII (2021): 77-86.
Ridge, Patrick. “Thunder and Terror: Storm as Allegory in Tatiana Huezo’s Tempestad.” Screening the Indigenous Experience in Contemporary Latin American Cinema, special issue of Diálogo 23.1 (2020): 69-84.
Ridge, Patrick. “El desmadre: Counter-hegemonic Fervour in Carlos Monsiváis’s 1986 World Cup Chronicles.” Moments, Metaphors, Memories: Defining Events in the History of Soccer, special issue of Soccer & Society 20.7-8 (2019): 960-72.
Ridge, Patrick. “Los espectros del estadio: la muerte en ‘El final del futbol’ de Ricardo Chávez Castañeda.” Revista Iberoamericana 84.262 (2018): 139-51.
Ridge, Patrick. “Football (Soccer) in Latin America.” Oxford Bibliographies: Latin American Studies. 27 Jun. 2018.
Ridge, Patrick. “La aestheticization de la violencia en el cine español contemporáneo.” Hispanic Journal 38.1 (2017): 169-86.
Ridge, Patrick. “¿La fiesta de todos o pocos?: representaciones fílmicas del Mundial ’78 en la Argentina.” Studies in Latin American Popular Culture 34 (2016): 109-27.
Ridge, Patrick. “Um bando de louco: Corinthians and Masculinity in Boleiros and Linha de passe.” Romance Notes 54.3 (2014): 419-25.
Ridge, Patrick. “Cómo leer los clásicos… de fútbol.” Fútbol y sociedad en América Latina. Ed. Thomas Fischer, Romy Köhler, and Stefan Reith. Madrid: Iberoamericana Vervuert. 395-408.
Ridge, Patrick. “Montando el Mundial ’78: las transmisiones de la Argentina 78 Televisora (A78TV).” Deporte y sociedad civil en tiempos de dictadura. Ed. Mariano Gruschetsky and Raanan Rein. San Martín: UNSAM EDITA, 2021. 63-82.
Ridge, Patrick. “A ‘Friendly’ Game: Homoaffectivity in Club de Cuervos.” The Routledge Companion to Gender, Sex and Latin American Culture. Ed. Frederick Luis Aldama. New York: Routledge, 2018. 287-299.
Ridge, Patrick. “Mexico ‘on Top:’ Queering Masculinity in Contemporary Mexican Soccer Chronicles.” Perspectives on the U.S.-Mexico Soccer Rivalry: Passion and Politics in Red, White, Blue, and Green. Ed. Jeffrey Kassing and Lindsey Meân. Cham: Palgrave Macmillan, 2017. 123-44.
- SPAN 4334 / SPAN 5334: The Culture of fútbol
- SPAN 4334 / FL 5334: Filming History: Latin American Documentary Filmmaking
- SPAN 4104: Advanced Grammar and Style
- SPAN 3514: Spanish for the Medical Professions
- SPAN 3464: Modern Mexican and Central American Literature & Culture
- SPAN 3304: Introduction to Hispanic Literature
- On the Importance of Spanish for Providers and Premeds: The Premed Years, Ep. 372, Jan. 8, 2020
- The Culture of Fútbol: Hispanic-Latinx Heritage Month, El Centro, Virginia Tech, Oct. 18, 2019
- Humanizing Medical Interpretation: Hispanic Medical Outreach, Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine (VCOM), Sep. 11, 2019
- The Commodification of Soccer Players: Consumer Culture in Latin America, Arizona State University (Skype), Nov. 13, 2017
Select Media Mentions
Recent Academic News