Nadine Adel Sinno
- Modern Arabic literature and cultural studies
- Arab women’s contemporary war diaries
- Arab/Muslim feminisms
- Arab-American literature
- Literary translation
- Program director, Arabic
- Assistant editor, Arab Studies Quarterly
- Faculty advisor, Arabic Student Club (at VT)
- Middle East Studies Association
- Association for Middle East Women’s Studies
- Ph.D. Comparative Literature and Cultural Studies, University of Arkansas
- M.F.A. Literary Translation, University of Arkansas
- M.A. English Literature, American University of Beirut
- B.A. English Literature, American University of Beirut
Awards and Honors
Scholar of the Week. The Office of the Vice President for Research and Innovation. Virginia Tech. (August 2015)
Teacher of the Week. The Center for Instructional Development and Educational Research. Virginia Tech. (November 2015)
Al-Daif, Rashid. Who’s Afraid of Meryl Streep? Trans. Paula Haydar and Nadine Sinno. Austin: University of Texas Press, 2014. 112.
Yared, Nazik Saba. Canceled Memories. Trans. Nadine Sinno. Syracuse: Syracuse University Press, 2009. 151.
Haydar, Adnan, Paula Haydar, and Nadine Sinno. Haki bil-Libnani: Lebanese Arabic Online Textbook and Companion Website to Al-Kitaab Part One. 3rd ed. Washington D.C.: Georgetown University Press, 2014. http://www.alkitaabtextbook.com/books/.
“Milk and Honey, Tabbūleh, and Coke: Orientalist, Local, and Global Discourses in Alexandra Chreiteh’s Dayman Coca-Cola.” Middle Eastern Literatures 18.2 (2015): 122-43.
“Family Sagas and Checkpoint Dramas: Tragedy, Humor, and Family Dynamics in Suad Amiry’s Sharon and my Mother-in-Law.” Journal of Middle East Women’s Studies 9.1 (2013): 30-53.
“The Greening of Modern Arabic Literature: An Ecological Interpretation of Two Contemporary Arabic Novels.” Interdisciplinary Studies in Literature and the Environment 20.1 (2013): 125-43.
“From Confinement to Creativity: Women’s Reconfiguration of the Prison and Mental Asylum in Salwa Bakr’s The Golden Chariot and Fadia Faqir’s Pillars of Salt.” Journal of Arabic Literature 42.1 (2011): 67-94