- Elder and vulnerable adult mistreatment
- Public and private guardianship
- End-of-life issues and decision making
- Ethical treatment of human rights issues
- Secretary, International Network for the Prevention of Elder Abuse
- Board of Trustees, Center for Guardianship Certification
- Ph.D. Public Administration and Public Affairs, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. May, 1997.
- Graduate Certificate in Gerontology, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. May, 1997.
- M.A. Speech and Theatre,The University of Tennessee at Knoxville, December, 1982.
- B.S. English Education (major), Speech and Theatre (minor), The University of Tennessee at Knoxville, May, 1980.
Awards and Honors
Pioneer Award for Public Guardianship, Virginia Department for Aging and Rehabilitative Services (2014)
Fellow, Association for Gerontology in Higher Education
Fellow, Gerontological Society of America
Harley, D., & Teaster, P.B. (Eds.). (2016). Handbook of LGBT elders: An interdisciplinary approach to principles, practices, and policies. Springer Publishing Company.
Teaster, P.B., Wood, E.; Schmidt, W., Lawrence, S.A., Mendiondo, M. (2010). Public guardianship after 25 years: In the best interest of incapacitated people? Praeger Publishing Company.
Rowles, G.D., & Teaster, P.B. (Eds.). (2016). Long-Term Care in an Aging Society: Theory and Practice. Springer Publishing Company.
Teaster, P. B., Ramsey-Klawsnik, H., Abner, E. L., & Kim, S. (2015). The sexual victimization of older women living in nursing homes. Journal of Elder Abuse & Neglect, 1-18. DOI: 10.1080/08946566.2015.1082453.
Davis, T., Teaster, P. B., Thornton, A., Watkins, J. F., Alexander, L., & Zanjani, F. (2015). Primary Care Providers’ HIV Prevention Practices Among Older Adults. Journal of Applied Gerontology, DOI: 0733464815574093.
Roberto, K.A., Teaster, P.B., Mancini, J., Salva, T. (2015). A community capacity framework for enhancing criminal justice response to elder abuse. Journal of Crime and Justice. 38(1) 9-26.
Teaster, P.B., & O’Brien, J. G. (2014). The Elder Mistreatment of Overtreatment at End of Life. Public Policy & Aging Report, 24(3), 92-96. doi: 10.1093/ppar/pru025.
The Importance of The Values History for Public Guardianship. (P. Teaster, PI). The Borchard Center Foundation on Law and Aging. (2015-2016).
Research and Recommendations on Restoration of Rights in Adult Guardianship. (E. Wood, PI, P.B. Teaster, Co-PI). Greenwall Foundation. (2015-2017).
Assessing the Impact of Involuntary Relocation on Nursing Facility Residents. (Karen A. Roberto, PI; P. Teaster, Co-PI). Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. (2014-2015).