Department of Human Development and Family Science
265 West Campus Drive
Blacksburg, VA 24061
540-231-5437 | email@example.com
Rose Wesche joined the Human Development and Family Science department at Virginia Tech in 2019 as an Assistant Professor. Rose’s research focuses on how diverse interpersonal relationships, including friendships, romantic relationships, and casual sexual relationships, are associated with adolescents’ and young adults’ well-being. Rose uses diverse statistical methodologies and theoretical perspectives to examine how interpersonal relationships create risks and benefits related to health. Rose received her doctorate in HDFS from Penn State and her bachelor’s degree in Psychology from Oberlin College.
Accepting new grad students: Yes; Research team; can serve on student committees
In need of students for research team: Yes
Name of research team: Relationships and Health Lab
- Adolescent development
- Adolescent health, including sexual health, mental health, and substance use
- Sexual and romantic relationships
- Friendships and peer acceptance
- LGBTQ health
- PhD, in Human Development and Family Studies, Penn State University
- MS, in Human Development and Family Studies, Penn State University
- BA, in Psychology, Oberlin College
Regular professional memberships:
- Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society
- Society for Research on Adolescence
- Society for Research in Child Development
- Society for the Study of Emerging Adulthood
- Member, Society for Research on Adolescence Social Policy Committee
Wesche, Rose, et al. "Peer Acceptance and Sexual Behaviors from Adolescence to Young Adulthood." Journal of Youth and Adolescence, vol. 48, no. 5, 2019, pp. 996-1008. doi: 10.1007/s10964-019-00991-7
Wesche, Rose et al. "Sources of Social Influence on Adolescents’ Alcohol Use." Journal of Research on Adolescence, vol 28, 2018, pp. 779-785. doi: 10.1111/jora.12439.
Wesche, Rose, et al. "Evaluations and Future Plans After Casual Sexual Experiences: Differences Across Partner Type." The Journal of Sex Research, vol. 55, no. 9, 2018, pp. 1180-1191. doi: 10.1080/00224499.2017.1298714
Wesche, Rose et al. "Latent Classes of Sexual Behaviors: Prevalence, Predictors, and Consequences." Sexuality Research and Social Policy, vol. 14, no. 1, 2017, pp. 100-111. doi: 10.1007/s13178-016-0228-y
Wesche, Rose, and Eva S. Lefkowitz. “Normative Sexual Development and Milestones.” The Encyclopedia of Child and Adolescent Development, edited by Stephen Hupp & Jeremy Jewell. Wiley-Blackwell, in press.
McDonnell, Cadhla and Rose Wesche. (2016). “Are We There Yet? Gender and Equality in Couple Relationships.” Gender and Couple Relationships, edited by Susan M. McHale et al. Springer, 2016, pp. 233-242.
- HDFS 3224: Middle Childhood and Adolescence
Select Media Mentions
Recent Academic News