Department of Human Development and Family Science
230 Grove Lane
Blacksburg, VA 24061
540-231-7657 | email@example.com
Karen A. Roberto is a University Distinguished Professor, Executive Director of the Institute for Society, Culture and Environment, and Senior Fellow at the Virginia Tech Center for Gerontology.
Accepting new grad students: No
In need of students for research team: Not currently
Name of research team: N/A
- Health and Social Support in late life, including caregiving for family members living with dementia, older women and chronic illness, and elder abuse and IPV in late life.
- Ph.D., Texas Tech University
- M.S., Texas Tech University
- B.A., Indiana University of Pennsylvania
- Board of Directors, Gerontological Society of America
- Senior Fellow, Center for Gerontology, Virginia Tech
- Founding Director, Institute for Society, Culture, and Environment, Virginia Tech
- Past Chair, Behavioral and Social Sciences Section of the Gerontological Society of America
- Past Director, Center for Gerontology, Virginia Tech
- Editorial Board, The Gerontologist
- Editorial Board, Journal of Women and Aging
- 2012 Distinguished Mentorship in Gerontology Award, Behavioral and Social Sciences Section, Gerontological Society of America
- 2007 Fellow - World Demographic Association
- 2006 Alumni Award for Excellence in Research, Virginia Tech
Roberto, K.A., & Savla, J. (2022). Extended family caregivers for persons living with dementia Journal of Family Nursing, 28(4), 396-407. https://doi.org/10.1177/10748407221115455
Roberto, K.A., Savla, J., McCann B.R., Blieszner, R., & Knight, A. (2022). Dementia family caregiving in rural Appalachia: A sociocultural model of care decisions and service use. The Journals of Gerontology, Series B: Psychological Sciences & Social Sciences, 77(6), 1094-1104. https://doi.org/10.1093/geronb/gbab236
Roberto, K.A., McCann, B.R., Teaster, P.B., & Hoyt, E. (2022). Elder abuse and the opioid epidemic: Evidence from APS cases in central Appalachia. Journal of Rural Mental Health, 46(1), 50-62. https://doi.org/10.1037/rmh0000181
Wacker, R. R., & Roberto, K.A. (2019). Community resources for older adults: Programs and services in an era of change (5th ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
Resnick, B., Gwyther, L., & Roberto, K.A. (Eds.) (2018). Resilience in aging: Concepts, research, and outcomes (2nd ed.). New York: Springer International Publishing.
Select Media Mentions
Recent Academic News
Page 1 of 4 | 21 Results