Department of Human Development and Family Science
840 University Blvd. Suite 1
Blacksburg, VA 24061
540-231-6782 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Erika Grafsky is an associate professor of human development and family science at Virginia Tech.
Accepting new grad students: Yes
In need of students for research team: Yes
Name of research team: Project SMYLE ~Sexual & Gender Minorities Youth Lived Experiences
- Psychosocial Health and Well-Being of Queer Youth and their Families
- LGBT Affirmative Therapy Practices
- Qualitative Research Methods
- Intervention Development
- Ph.D. The Ohio State University
- M.S. The University of Kentucky
- B.S. The Ohio State University
- Faculty Affiliate, Virginia Tech, Women and Gender Studies Program
- Faculty Affiliate, Virginia Tech, Health Sciences, Translational Biology, Medicine, and Health Program
- Pre-Clinical Fellow, American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy
- Member, National Council on Family Relations
- 2016 Favorite Faculty Member, Virginia Tech Office of Housing and Residential Life
- 2010 National Council on Family Relations (NCFR) Student/New Professional Award, $1000.
Nguyen, H. N., Grafsky, E. L., & Piercy, F. P. (In Press). MFT program policies on referral of LGBT clients. Contemporary Family Therapy.
Hickey, K., & Grafsky, E. L. (2016). Family relationships and religious identities of GLBQ Christians. Journal of GLBT Family Studies, XX, XX-XX. doi:10.1080/1550428X.2015.1129660
Grafsky, E. L. (2014). Becoming the parent of a GLB son or daughter. Journal of GLBT Family Studies, 10, 36-57. doi:10.1080/1550428X.2014.85724
Hartwell, E., Serovich, J. M., Grafsky, E. L., & Kerr, Z. (2012). Coming out of the dark: Content analysis of articles pertaining to gay, lesbian, and bisexual issues in couple and family therapy journals. Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, 38, 227-243. doi:10.1111/j.1752-0606.2011.00274.x
Grafsky, E. L. (2016). Couples Therapy. In A. E. Goldberg (Ed.) The SAGE Encyclopedia of LGBTQ Studies. (2000 words; pp. 261-263). NY: Sage.
Grafsky, E. L. & Nguyen, H. (2015). Affirmative Therapy with LGBTQ+ Families. In S. W. Browning & K. Pasley (Eds.), Contemporary Families: Translating Research Into Practice, (pp. 196-212). Rutledge.
- Grafsky, E.L. (2013). Figuring it out: A community-based, participatory approach to develop an intervention to assist sexual minority youth in making disclosure decisions to family. Virginia Tech Institute of Society, Culture, and Environment (ISCE). Role: Principal Investigator. Amount: $16,000.
- Grafsky, E. L. (2010-2011). Formative research on disclosure and substance use for LGB youth and their families. National Institute on Drug Abuse. Role: Principal Investigator. Mentors: Julie Serovich, Ph.D.; Natasha Slesnick, Ph.D. Amount: $54,000. R36 Dissertation grant R36DA026958. Disposition: Submitted October 16, 2008, Resubmitted July 6, 2009. Score: 21. Awarded.
Select Media Mentions
Recent Academic News