Department of Human Development and Family Science
840 University City Boulevard, Suite 1
Blacksburg, VA 24061
540-231-6807 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Megan Dolbin-MacNab is a Professor of Human Development and Family Science at Virginia Tech.
Accepting new grad students: Please Contact
In need of students for research team: Please Contact
- Relational Processes in Custodial Grandfamilies
- Family-Based Interventions for Custodial Grandfamilies
- Policy and Grandfamilies Marriage and Family Therapy
- Family Therapy with Older Adults
- Qualitative Methods
- Ph.D., Purdue University
- M.S., Purdue University
- B.S., The Pennsylvania State University
- Faculty Affiliate, Virginia Tech Center for Gerontology
- Fellow, Gerontological Society of America
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist
- Clinical Fellow, American Association for American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy
- AAMFT Approved Supervisor
- Alumni Award for Excellent in Graduate Academic Advising, Office of the Provost, Virginia Tech, 2023
- Fellow, Gerontological Society of America, 2019
- Excellence in Advising Award, College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences, Virginia Tech, 2015–2016
- Best Article Award, Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy, 2013
- Excellence in Graduate Student Advising Award, College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences, Virginia Tech, 2009-2010
- Certificate of Teaching Excellence, College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences, Virginia Tech, 2007–2008
Dolbin-MacNab, M. L., & Yancura, L. A. (2018). International perspectives on grandparents raising grandchildren: Contextual considerations for advancing global discourse. The International Journal of Aging and Human Development, 86, 3-33. doi:10.1177/0091415016689565
Hayslip, B., Fruhauf, C. A., & Dolbin-MacNab, M. L. (2017). Grandparents raising grandchildren: What have we learned over the past decade? The Gerontologist. doi:10.1093/geront/gnx106.
Dolbin-MacNab, M. L., Jarrott, S. E., Moore, L. E.*, O’Hora, K. A.*, De Chavonnes Vrugt, M., & Erasmus, M. (2016). Dumela Mma: An examination of resilience among South African grandmothers raising grandchildren. Ageing and Society, 36, 2182-2212. doi:10.1017/S0144686X15001014
Dolbin-MacNab, M. L. (2015). Critical self-reflection questions for professionals who work with grandfamilies. Grandfamilies, 1(2), 139-159.
Dolbin-MacNab, M. L., Stucki, B. D., Natwick, J. E. (2019). Grandparenthood: Clinical issues and interventions. In B. Hayslip, Jr. & C. A. Fruhauf (Eds.), Grandparenting: Influences on the dynamics of family relationships (pp. 217-232). New York, NY: Springer.
Dolbin-MacNab, M. L., & Yancura, L. A. (2019). Global perspectives on grandparenting: A conceptual metaframework. In B. Hayslip, Jr. & C. A. Fruhauf (Eds.), Grandparenting: Influences on the dynamics of family relationships (pp. 347-364). New York, NY: Springer.
Dolbin-MacNab, M. L. (2019). Grandparenthood. In B. H. Fiese (Ed.), APA handbook of contemporary family psychology (pp. 557-574). Washington, D.C.: American Psychological Association.
Dolbin-MacNab, M. L., & Few-Demo, A. L. (2018). Grandfamilies in the United States: An intersectional analysis. In V. Timonen (Ed.), Grandparenting practices around the world (pp. 189-208). Bristol, UK: Policy Press.
- 2017 – 2022 Social Intelligence Training for Custodial Grandmothers and their Adolescent Grandchildren Agency: National Institute on Aging (R01AG054571-01A1; $3,586,372) Co-PIs: Greg Smith, Frank Infurna Co-I: Max Crowley, Megan Dolbin-MacNab, Eva Zautra
- 2015 – 2019 Nonresidential Parental Involvement in Custodial Grandparent Families: Research, Agency: National Institute for Food and Agriculture (NIFA)/USDA Hatch Federal Capacity Funds ($90,000) PI: Megan Dolbin-MacNab (2018-2019), Rachel Dunifon (2015-2018) Co-I: Kimberly Kopko
- 2010 – 2012 Grandparent-Headed Families and Virginia WIC: An Examination of Service Awareness, Utilization, and Delivery Agency: Virginia Department of Health ($253,984) PI: Megan Dolbin-MacNab; Co-I: Elena Serrano
Select Media Mentions
Article ItemRaising children for a second time, 'grandfamilies' struggle during the pandemic , article
PBS Newshour, 2/23/2021
General ItemOpioid epidemic is creating more “grandfamilies” in Virginia
WDBJ, December 13, 2017
General ItemHow Grandparents Provide Safety Net in Opioid Crisis
General ItemGrandparents forced to raise grandkids as opioid crisis worsens
General ItemGrandparents Raising Grandchildren – An Interview
WV Public Broadcasting, 09/26/2017
Recent Academic News