Department of Human Development and Family Science
840 University City Blvd. Suite 1
Blacksburg, VA 24061
540-231-6807 | email@example.com
Megan Dolbin-MacNab is an associate professor of human development and family science at Virginia Tech.
- Grandfamilies/ Grandparents Raising Grandchildren
- Marriage and Family Therapy
- Family Therapy with Older Adults and Their Families
- Community Based Interventions
- Ph.D. Purdue University
- M.S. Purdue University
- B.S. The Pennsylvania State University
- Faculty Affiliate, Virginia Tech Center for Gerontology
- Fellow, Gerontological Society of America
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist
- Clinical Fellow, American Association for Marriage & Family Therapy (AAMFT)
- AAMFT Approved Supervisor
- Editorial Board Member, Family Relations, Grandfamilies, and the Journal of Marital and Family Therapy
- 2018 Fellow, Gerontological Society of America
- 2015-2016 Excellence in Advising Aware, College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences, Virginia Tech
- 2013 Best Article Award, Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy.
- 2009 - 2010 Excellence in Graduate Student Advising Award, College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences, Virginia Tech.
- 2007 - 2008 Certificate of Teaching Excellence, College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences, Virginia Tech.
Dolbin-MacNab, M. L., & Yancura, L. A. (2018). International perspectives on grandparents raising grandchildren: Contextual considerations for advancing global discourse. The International Journal of Aging and Human Development, 86, 3-33. doi:10.1177/0091415016689565
Hayslip, B., Fruhauf, C. A., & Dolbin-MacNab, M. L. (2017). Grandparents raising grandchildren: What have we learned over the past decade? The Gerontologist. doi:10.1093/geront/gnx106.
Dolbin-MacNab, M. L., Jarrott, S. E., Moore, L. E.*, O’Hora, K. A.*, De Chavonnes Vrugt, M., & Erasmus, M. (2016). Dumela Mma: An examination of resilience among South African grandmothers raising grandchildren. Ageing and Society, 36, 2182-2212. doi:10.1017/S0144686X15001014
Dolbin-MacNab, M. L. (2015). Critical self-reflection questions for professionals who work with grandfamilies. Grandfamilies, 1(2), 139-159.
Dolbin-MacNab, M. L., Stucki, B. D., Natwick, J. E. (2019). Grandparenthood: Clinical issues and interventions. In B. Hayslip, Jr. & C. A. Fruhauf (Eds.), Grandparenting: Influences on the dynamics of family relationships (pp. 217-232). New York, NY: Springer.
Dolbin-MacNab, M. L., & Yancura, L. A. (2019). Global perspectives on grandparenting: A conceptual metaframework. In B. Hayslip, Jr. & C. A. Fruhauf (Eds.), Grandparenting: Influences on the dynamics of family relationships (pp. 347-364). New York, NY: Springer.
Dolbin-MacNab, M. L. (2019). Grandparenthood. In B. H. Fiese (Ed.), APA handbook of contemporary family psychology (pp. 557-574). Washington, D.C.: American Psychological Association.
Dolbin-MacNab, M. L., & Few-Demo, A. L. (2018). Grandfamilies in the United States: An intersectional analysis. In V. Timonen (Ed.), Grandparenting practices around the world (pp. 189-208). Bristol, UK: Policy Press.
- 2017 – 2022 Social Intelligence Training for Custodial Grandmothers and their Adolescent Grandchildren Agency: National Institute on Aging (R01AG054571-01A1; $3,586,372) Co-PIs: Greg Smith, Frank Infurna Co-I: Max Crowley, Megan Dolbin-MacNab, Eva Zautra
- 2015 – 2019 Nonresidential Parental Involvement in Custodial Grandparent Families: Research, Agency: National Institute for Food and Agriculture (NIFA)/USDA Hatch Federal Capacity Funds ($90,000) PI: Megan Dolbin-MacNab (2018-2019), Rachel Dunifon (2015-2018) Co-I: Kimberly Kopko
- 2010 – 2012 Grandparent-Headed Families and Virginia WIC: An Examination of Service Awareness, Utilization, and Delivery Agency: Virginia Department of Health ($253,984) PI: Megan Dolbin-MacNab Co-I: Elena Serrano
Select Media Mentions
Opioid epidemic is creating more “grandfamilies” in Virginia
WDBJ, December 13, 2017
- Opioid epidemic is creating more “grandfamilies” in Virginia
How Grandparents Provide Safety Net in Opioid Crisis
- How Grandparents Provide Safety Net in Opioid Crisis
Grandparents forced to raise grandkids as opioid crisis worsens
- Grandparents forced to raise grandkids as opioid crisis worsens
Grandparents Raising Grandchildren – An Interview
WV Public Broadcasting, 09/26/2017
- Grandparents Raising Grandchildren – An Interview