Trudy Harrington Becker
Department of History
220 Stanger Street
Blacksburg, VA 24061
Trudy Harrington Becker is a senior instructor of history at Virginia Tech.
- Ancient Rome
- Classical Studies
- Women’s Studies
- PhD, University of Florida
- MA, Virginia Tech
- MA, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- BA, College of the Holy Cross
- Associate Chair, Department of History, 2011
- State Vice President for Virginia, Classical Association of the Middle West and South
- President, Academy of Teaching Excellence, 2012-13
- Co-Coordinator, Classical Studies Program
- Webmaster, Classical Studies Program
- Alumni Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Academic Advising, Virginia Tech, 2018
- William E. Wine Award for Excellence in Teaching, Virginia Tech, 2015
- Alumni Award for Excellence in International Education, Virginia Tech, 2014
- Excellence in International Initiatives, Virginia Tech College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences, 2013
“Broadening Access to a Classical Education: Virginia State Colleges in the Nineteenth Century,” Classical Journal 96.3 (2001) 309-322.
“A Source for Ideology: The Classical Education of Martin Luther King, Jr.,” Classical Bulletin, 76.2 (2000) 181-189 (Special issue devoted to 20th c. use of the classical world).
“Daniel B. Williams: Virginia’s First State Hired Black College Classics Instructor,” Classical Outlook 76.3 (1999) 94-95.
“Ambiguity and the Female Warrior: Vergil’s Camilla,” Electronic Antiquity, 4.1 (August 1997).
Recent Academic News