Department of History
Anndal Narayanan is an Instructor of Modern Military History. He specializes in the impacts of decolonization on French politics and society. His first book, forthcoming with the University of Nebraska Press, is titled Home from the war with no name: the Algerian War veterans’ movement in France. He received his Ph.D. and M.A. in Modern European History from the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill and his B.A. in History and French from Goucher College.
- Modern French colonial and postcolonial history
- French war and society
- 20th century French politics
- The World Wars
- Terrorism and counterinsurgency
- Ph.D. in Modern European History, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, 2016
- M.A. in Modern European History, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, 2013
- B.A. in History and French, Goucher College, 2010
- American Historical Association
- Veterans Studies Association
- Society for French Historical Studies
- Society for Military History
- French Colonial History Society
- Western Society for French History
- “‘Ready to fight’: veterans of the Algerian War take the battle to France, 1958-1974,” Proceedings of the Western Society for French History 42 (Spring 2014). http://hdl.handle.net/2027/spo.0642292.0042.013
- “‘Monsieur le Ministre, we’re waiting for our veterans’ card’: the Struggle for Recognition of French Combatants of the Algerian War, 1956-1974,” Perspectives on Europe 42 no. 2 (Fall 2012): 117-121.
Doris G. Quinn Foundation Fellowship for dissertation completion, 2015
Fulbright Fellowship, France, 2013-2014
Council for European Studies Pre-dissertation Fellowship, 2012
“Liberté, Fraternité, Uncertainty: Interpreting the French Election.” Panel sponsored by the Alexander Hamilton Society and Duke Francophone Society, Duke University, Durham, NC, April 24, 2017. Invited speaker on the history of the National Front.
Modern Military History; The Age of Revolution and Napoleon; World War 1; World War 2; The Global History of Terrorism; The Age of Revolution and Napoleon; History of the Modern Middle East; The Holocaust, Cold War, Modern France, French Empire in Africa
Select Media Mentions