- French empire in India and the Indian Ocean
- 17th-19th centuries
- American Historial Association
- Society for French Historical Studies
- Association for Asian Studies
- American Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies
- Ph.D. Anthropology and History, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
- M.A. Anthropology and History, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
- B.A. Tel Aviv University
Awards and Honors
2015–2016 Huntington Library Long-Term Fellowship
2015 Franklin Research Grant, American Philosophical Society
2014 Niles Research Grant, Virginia Tech
A Colonial Affair: Commerce, Conversion, and Scandal in French India. Ithaca: Cornell University Press, 2017.
Articles and Book Chapters
- “Striking Pondichéry: Religious Struggles and French Authority in an Indian Colony of the Ancien Régime”. French Historical Studies (2014) 37, no. 3. 437-467.
- “The Currency of Kinship: Trading Families and Trading on Family in Colonial French India.” Eighteenth-Century Studies 47, no. 2 : 137-155.
- “Conflicts in the Context of Conversion: French Jesuits and Tamil Religious Intermediaries in Madurai, India.” In Intercultural Encounter: Jesuit Mission in South Asia, 16th-18th Centuries, edited by Anand Amaladass and Ines G. Zupanov. Bangalore, India: Asian Trading Corporation, 2014: 179-198.
- “Intermediaries on the Move: Mobility and Stability in the Making of Colonial Go-Betweens in Eighteenth-Century India.” In Intermédiares culturels/Cultural Intermediaries, edited by Vanessa Alayrac-Fielding and Ellen R. Welch. Paris: Honoré-Champion.2015: 217-236
Current Research: A book manuscript titled A World at Court: Law and Empire in the French Indian Ocean.
To find out more, check out Danna Agmon's website.