- Global History
- Women's and Gender History
- Medical History
- Digital Humanities
- Public History
- Associate Dean, College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences, Virginia Tech
- Ph.D. University of Michigan
- M.A. University of Michigan
- B.A. Williams College
Awards and Honors
- Sturm Prize for Research Excellence, Phi Beta Kappa chapter, Virginia Tech, 2011.
- Alumni Award for Outreach Excellence, Virginia Tech, 2008.
- Excellence in Research Award, College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences, Virginia Tech, 2011.
Separate Schools: Gender, Policy, and Practice in Postwar Soviet Education. (DeKalb: Northern Illinois University Press, 2010) 300 pp.
The Teachers of Stalinism: Policy, Practice, and Power in Soviet Schools of the 1930s. (New York: Peter Lang Publishing, Inc., 2002) 333 pp.
"'Taking the Path of Least Resistance': Expulsions from Soviet Schools in the Stalinist 1930s.” Chapter in Carla Aubrey, Michael Geiss, Veronika Magyar-Haas, and Jurgen Oeklkers, eds., Education and the State. International Perspectives on a Changing Relationship (Routledge: London, 2015), pp. 219-233.
- Co-author, with Samah Gad, Bernice Hausman, Kathleen Kerr, Bruce Pencek, and Naren Ramakrishnan, “Mining Coverage of the Flu: Big Data’s Insights into an Epidemic.” Perspectives on History, published by the American Historical Association, Vol. 52, No. 1, January 2014.
- Co-author, with Naren Ramakrishnan and Samah Gad, “Gaining Insights into Epidemics by Mining Historical Newspapers.” Computer IEEE Vol. 46, No. 6 (June 2013), pp. 68-73.
- “Maternity and Modernity: Soviet Women Teachers and the Contradictions of Stalinism.” Women’s History Review Vol. 19, No. 3 (July 2010), pp. 451-477.
- “If the Teacher was a Man: Masculinity and Power in Stalinist Schools.” Gender & History Vol. 21, No. 1 (2009) pp. 107-129.
- 2015-17 National Endowment for the Humanities, Tracking the Russian Flu in U.S. and German Medical and Popular Reports, 1889-1893, in partnership with Hannover University, budget: 127,600 Euros from Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft and $175,000 from NEH.
- 2015-16 National Endowment for the Humanities, Cooperative Agreement, for workshop, Images and Texts in Medical History, in coordination with History of Medicine Division of the National Library of Medicine and Wellcome Trust (UK), April 2016 (Project Director, $70,000).
- 2014-15 National Endowment for the Humanities, Summer Seminar on 1918 Spanish Flu ($101,000)
- Information Flow and Knowledge Transmission
- Telegraph in Global History
- Public Health (Influenza pandemics)
- History of Education
- Gender in Schools