Why Study Here?
The Virginia Tech School of Education (SOE) provides its students with world-class programs in teacher education, educational leadership, higher education, counselor education, and educational studies. As a leading provider of graduate education for students who are committed to diversity and equity, reflective practice, and research-based practices, we will work with you to ensure that you meet your goals. You can study to become a teacher, an administrator in PK-12 education, a leader in higher education and student affairs, a counselor or mental health clinician, or an educational specialist in Reading or Mathematics; you can even become a researcher or faculty member in any of these areas! At the VT SOE, you will find a community of teacher-scholars who share your passion for education and impacting the future of our global communities.
Reimagining the Future begins with practices that put educational excellence, innovation, and equity at the fore. At the Virginia Tech School of Education, you will develop the knowledge, skills, and dispositions necessary to transform teaching and learning, conduct groundbreaking research, and engage with learning communities around the globe.
As a global catalyst for individual transformation, we’re pushing the boundaries of knowledge and practice to reimagine a more equitable and just world.
SOE Basic Facts
- Accredited by the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) since 1971.
- Initial Teacher Education programs accredited by CAEP in 2019.
- All professional licensure programs approved by the Virginia Department of Education; our counselor programs are also approved by CACREP
- Degrees offered:
- Bachelors (B.A.Ed. & B.S.Ed.)
- Masters (M.A.Ed. & M.S.Ed.)
- Educational Specialist (Ed.S.)
- Doctor of Education (Ed.D.)
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)
- - We also 4 graduate certificate programs
- Graduate Assistantships: 51
- Total Fall 2021 Enrollment: 466
- 2020-2021 Graduates:
- More than 140 new licensed administrators, counselors, and teachers
- More than 56 new doctorates
- Faculty Accomplishments 2022:
- Funded Grants, Active External Grants: $16,777,381 (SOE portion: $14,246,833; $3,181,647 new FY22)
- Funded Grants, Active Internal Grants: $300,819 (SOE portion: $164,805; $143,773 new FY22)
- - Books/Book Chapters: 56
- - Refereed Articles: 56
- Papers at Professional Meetings: 206
- Editorial Boards: 56
- More than 19 International Faculty Activities with 14 Countries
- Outreach Partnerships Include:
- Newly established Center for Rural Education
- - Institute for Creativity in Arts and Technology (ICAT)
- STEM Education Collaborator
- VA Career VIEW: Serving over 6000 individuals; more than 77 million website hits
- - Training & Technical Assistance (T/TAC): Providing support and educational resources to over 8000 educators and families.
- More than $ 50,000 in scholarships for pre-service and practicing educators.
"Upon Reflection": Essays on Education from Our Faculty
Page 1 of 4 | 24 Results