Department of Apparel, Housing, and Resource Management
115 Wallace Hall
295 West Campus Drive
Blacksburg, VA 24061
540-231-6216 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Jessie Chen-Yu is an professor of fashion merchandising and design.
- Apparel Consumer and Behavior Retailing Strategies
- Textile Science / Interior Textiles
- Textile Evaulation & Analysis
- PhD, University of Minnesota
- MS, Colorado State University
- Chair, Abstract and Paper Review Committee, the International Textile and Apparel Association
- Editorial Board Member, Clothing and Textiles Research Journal
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Global Academy of Marketing Science
- Former Associate Editor, Clothing and Textile Research Journal
- Former Vice President of Communities, Virginia Association of Family and Consumer Sciences
- Paper of Distinction Award, Textile Science Track, International Textiles & Apparel Association Annual Conference, 2016
- Excellence in Graduate Advising Award, College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences, Virginia Tech, 2012.
- Paper of Distinction Award, Consumer Behavior Track, International Textile and Apparel Association Annual Conference, 2012
- The Scholar of the Week, the week of February 14, 2011, Virginia Tech
- Listed in Who’s Who in America in the 2011, 65th Edition.
- Paper of Distinction Award, Consumer Behavior Track, International Textiles & Apparel Association Annual Conference, 2010
- Excellence in Research Award, College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences, Virginia Tech, 2010.
- Top 10 reader's favorite articles, “Adolescents' Clothing Purchase Motivations, Information Sources, and Store Selection Criteria: A Comparison of Male/Female and Impulse/Nonimpulse Shoppers”, Family and Consumer Sciences Research Journal, 2005.
- Graduate Student Best Paper Award, International Textiles & Apparel Association, 1996.
Chen-Yu, Jessie, and JoAnn Emmel. “Comparisons of Fabric Care Performances Between Conventional and High-Efficiency Washers and Dryers.” International Journal of Interdisciplinary Research, vol. 5, no. 19, 2018, pp. 1–19. doi: 10.1186/s40691-018-0135-3.
Chen-Yu, Jessie, et al. “Antecedents of Product Satisfaction and Brand Satisfaction at the Product-Receiving Stage in an Online Apparel Shopping Context.” Journal of Global Fashion Marketing, vol. 8, no. 3, 2017, pp. 207–219.
Chen-Yu, Jessie, and Soak-Wai Wong. “Effects of Repeated Treatments of Perspiration, Weathering, and Laundering on the Ultraviolet Protection of a Naturally Colored Cotton Fabric.” Clothing & Textiles Research Journal, vol. 35, no. 2, 2017, pp. 128–140. doi: 10.1177/0887302X16687074.
Chen-Yu, Jessie, et al. “Brand Perception and Brand Repurchase Intent in Online Apparel Shopping: An Examination of Brand Experience, Image-Congruence, Brand Affect and Brand Trust.” Journal of Global Fashion Marketing, vol. 7, no. 1, 2016, pp. 30–44. doi: 10.1080/20932685.2015.1110042.
Chen-Yu, Jessie, et al. “Adolescents' Clothing Motives and Store Selection Criteria: A Comparison Between South Korea and the United States.” Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management, vol. 14, no. 1, 2010, pp. 127–144. doi: 10.1108/13612021011025465.
Chen-Yu, Jessie, et al. “Effects of Household Fabric Softeners on Thermal Comfort of Cotton and Polyester Fabrics after Repeated Launderings.” Family and Consumer Sciences Research Journal, vol. 37, no. 4, 2009, pp. 535–549.
Chen-Yu, Jessie, et al. “Effects of Household Fabric Softeners on Flammability of Cotton and Polyester Fabrics.” AATCC Review, vol. 9, no. 3, 2009, pp. 43–47.
Chen-Yu, Jessie, et al. “Antibacterial and Laundering Properties of AMS and PHMB as Finishing Agents on Fabric for Healthcare Workers Uniforms.” Clothing and Textiles Research Journal, vol. 25, no. 3, 2007, pp. 258–272. doi: 10.1177/0887302X07303625.
- Chen‐Yu, J. (PI), Textile Testing for Novel Textiles for Navy SEALs’ Dry Suits, NanoSonic Inc., awarded $11,777 (Phase I ‐ Effect of Weathering on the Tearing Strength of Two Materials, $6,520 and Phase II ‐ Comparison of the Air Permeability of Four Materials, $5,247), 2010‐2011
- Chen‐Yu, J. (PI), Introduction to Inertial Housing Textiles, University Summer Sessions Grant, Virginia Tech, awarded $5,000, 2009
- Chen-Yu, J. (PI), Flame Resistant Test for Luna Innovation project N07-159 Development of a Lighter Weight, More Comfortable and Durable Clothing Ensemble with Improved Flame-Resistant Properties. Luna Innovation, awarded $2,250, 2008-2009
- Chen-Yu J. (PI) & Emmel, J. Ultraviolet Radiation Transmission of Woven Cotton Fabrics: Effects of Climate, Washing Action, Fabric Softeners and Repeated Laundering. Faculty Research Grant, College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences, Virginia Tech, awarded $3,000, 2007-2008
- Chen-Yu, J. (PI), Roles of Clothing Symbolism and Reference Groups in Female Adolescents’ Clothing Behavior. Faculty Research Grant, College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences, Virginia Tech, awarded $3,000, 2005-2006
Select Media Mentions
Recent Academic News