Department of Apparel, Housing, and Resource Management
295 West Campus Dr.
Blacksburg, VA 24061
540-231-3878 | email@example.com
Eonyou Shin is an assistant professor of Fashion, Merchandising, and Design in the Department of Apparel, Housing, and Resource Management at Virginia Tech. With her undergraduate degree in Fashion Marketing and Textile design and her graduate degree in Apparel, Merchandising, and Design, she has been focusing on the use of information and innovative technologies in many areas of apparel merchandising and product development, ranging from textile design to online apparel retailing and consumer behavior. Eonyou has been involved in several research projects on exploring apparel fit and comfort from the consumer's perspective and studies of consumer interface with innovative technologies, such as, virtual try-on model, virtual fitting room, and 3-D body scanner.
- Electronic Word-of-Mouth and Interpersonal Communication
- Information Processing and Decision Making
- Online Retailing (E-commerce/ M-commerce)
- Apparel Fit/ Sizing Related to the Use of Innovative Technologies
- Product Development using 3D Body Scanning Technology
- Ph.D., Apparel, Merchandising, and Design, Iowa State University, 2016
- M.S., Apparel, Merchandising, and Design, Iowa State University, 2013
- B.F.A., Fashion Marketing (Double Major: B.F.A. in Textile Design), Keimyung University, 2008
- Member, International Textile and Apparel Association
- Member, Global Fashion Marketing and Management
- L'Oréal Professorship in Creativity Marketing Award on Beauty & Marketing. 2018 Global Marketing Conference at Tokyo.
- Lectra Outstanding Design Award: Beat Use of Technology – Graduate Level. International Textile and Apparel Association 2015.
- Fashion Supplies Innovative Design Award – 1st Place. International Textile and Apparel Association 2015.
- Award of Most AESHM Completed Research or Design Poster. 2015 AESHM scholarship festival. Iowa State University
- Paper of Distinction Award - Merchandising, Visual, and Promotion Track. International Textile and Apparel Association 2014.
- Fashion Supplies Innovative Design Award – 1st Place. International Textile and Apparel Association 2014.
- Nominated for Paper of Distinction Award - Textile and Apparel Industry/International Track (Note: Awards were not given this year). International Textile and Apparel Association 2011.
Lee, J., & Shin, E. (In Press). The effects of apparel names and visual complexity of apparel design on evaluation. Journal of Business Research. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2019.08.023
Shin, E., & Damhorst, M. L. (2018). How young consumers think about apparel fit? International Journal of Fashion Design, Technology, and Education. http://doi.org/10.1080/17543266.2018.1448461
Shin, E., & McKinney, E. (2017). Exploration of fit reviews and its impact on ratings of rental dresses. Fashion Industry & Education. 15(2), 1-10.
Ling, Z., Shin, E., Hwang, C., & Baytar, F. (2017). The use of 3D body scanning technology to assess the effectiveness of shapewear: Changes in body shape and attractiveness. International Journal of Fashion Design, Technology, and Education. 10(2), 190-199.
McKinney, E., & Shin, E. (2016). Exploring criteria consumers use in evaluating their online formalwear rental experience: A content analysis of online reviews. Clothing and Textiles Research Journal, 34(4), 272-286.
Shin, E., Keenan, C., & Karpova, E. (2016). Comparative advantage of the United States and South Korean manmade textile industries. Fashion Industry & Education, 14(1), 1-9.
Shin, E., & Baytar, F. (2014). Apparel fit and size concerns and intentions to use virtual try-on: Impacts of body satisfaction and images of models’ bodies. Clothing and Textiles Research Journal, 32(1), 20-33.
- College of Human Sciences Graduate Scholarship ($2,000), 2016
- Fellowships, Korea Textile Development Institute ($40,000), 2010-2012
- International Travel Supplemental Grant (ITSG), Virginia Tech ($1,700), 2019
- Incentive Grant ($6,000), 2018-2019, College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences, Virginia Tech, Eonyou Shin (PI), 2018
- International Travel Supplemental Grant (ITSG), Virginia Tech ($2,000), 2018
- 2018 Midwest Big Data Summer School Travel Grant, Iowa State University ($200), 2018
- Mentoring Grants, the Office of the Provost, Virginia Tech ($1,500), 2018
- Professional Development Grants (PAG), Iowa State University ($200), 2011-2014
- Shin, E. (2015, November). “Cutting to make a lace”, The 2015 International Textile and Apparel Association (ITAA) Annual Meeting, Santa Fe, NM.
- Shin, E., & Hwang, C. (2014, November). “Through a Stained Glass Window”, The 2014 International Textile and Apparel Association (ITAA) Annual Meeting, Charlotte, NC.
- Introduction to the Fashion Industry (FMD 1224)
- International Sourcing of Apparel Products (FMD 4274)
- Merchandising Strategies (FMD 4264)
Select Media Mentions
Recent Academic News