School of Communication
141 Shanks Hall
181 Turner Street, NW
Blacksburg, VA 24061
540-231-7163 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Buddy Howell is an advanced instructor in the School of Communication.
- Reagan at the Summit: Presidential Public Diplomacy and the Collapse of Soviet Communism (monograph in process for submission to Michigan State University Press).
- “Reagan and the U.S.-Soviet Summits: Public Diplomacy, Humanity’s Dignity, and Soviet Communism’s Depravity.” In preparation for inclusion as a chapter in A Rhetorical History of the United States: Volume 8-World War II and the Cold War (under contract with Michigan State University Press).
- “Margaret Thatcher: The ‘Iron Lady’ and ‘Feminization’ of the Cold Warrior”
- PhD, Texas A&M University
- MA, Baylor University
- BA, Baylor University
- The Rhetorical Tradition
- Communication Skills
- Introduction to Communication Studies
- University Sporn Teaching Award for Excellence in Teaching Introductory Subjects, Center for Instructional Development and Educational Research and the Virginia Tech Academy for Teaching Excellence, 2020
- Leon Geyer Award
B. Wayne Howell, "Reagan and Reykjavík: Arms Control, SDI, and the Argument from Human Rights," Rhetoric & Public Affairs, 11 (Fall 2008): 389-415.
B. Wayne Howell, “Aristotle,” in The Encyclopedia of Political Communication, ed. Lynda Lee Kaid and Christina Holtz-Bacha. (Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 2008).
“Continuity & Change in Victory and Concession Speeches: Race, Gender, and Age in the Last Speeches of the 2008 Presidential Election Campaign,” American Behavioral Scientist 55 (June 2011): 765-783.
B. Wayne Howell, “Ronald Reagan’s Address at Moscow State University: A Rhetoric of Conciliation and Subversion,” Southern Communication Journal, 68 (December 2003): 107-120.
- Presidential Rhetoric political communication
- History & Criticism of American Public Address
- Rhetorical Criticism
- Argumentation & Public Advocacy
- Public Speaking
- Research grant, University of Florida, for archival research at the John Carter Brown Library at Brown University (summer 2013).
- Atlantic Coast Social, Behavioral, and Economic Sciences Alliance Award, NSF-University of Florida’s Office of Graduate Minority Programs (2010-2011)
Select Media Mentions
Recent Academic News