Sociology Careers and Internships
Internships provide you with valuable skills and real-world perspective regarding your chosen career field while giving you the opportunity to explore the possibilities for the future.
By participating in an internship, students apply the theory and knowledge they have been learning in the classroom through hands-on experience in a professional setting.
Please contact the Internship Coordinator and Career Advisor in sociology to learn more about the internship program or to schedule an appointment to talk about your future plans.
Past Field Study Placements
There are many opportunities to intern in Blacksburg and across the country. To the right are some examples of opportunities in our area. For more information, check out our Internship Agency List.
- YMCA Student Programs
- Police Departments
- Probation and Parole Offices
- Head Start
- Commonwealth Attorney's Office
- Government Agencies
- RAFT Crisis Hotline
- Law Offices
- Free Clinics
We focus on undergraduate education that will help students gain insight into how our lives are influenced by the social relationships around us. Graduates of our programs are employed in government, non-profits, education, and research.
Sociology graduates have proven that they are trained to be successful in a wide variety of careers.
Career and Professional Development at Virginia Tech offers a variety of services including career exploration, job searching, resume analysis, and interview training.
Other career-related resources include:
- Career Exploration Tools: Explains the process of selecting and exploring a career.
- Career Fairs: Lists the current career fairs on campus and in the region.
- Handshake: Enables Virginia Tech students and alumni to network for career planning and job search assistance.
- 4 Year Guide to Building Your Resume