Admissions Requirements

To apply to the graduate program, students must submit the Virginia Tech Graduate School online application.

Domestic and International Application
Fall: August 1st
Spring: January 1st
Summer I: May 1st
Summer II: June 1st

How do I apply for the degree program?

All students need to use the Virginia Tech Graduate School Online Application.The online application requires an application fee that can be paid by debit or credit card, or checks. Include a scanned copy of your college transcripts with your online application, then arrange for an official copy to be sent to us after you receive and offer of admission.We do NOT require GRE scores or letters of recommendation for our program. After the Graduate School (GS) processes your application, it comes to the School of Education (SOE), then it will be given to ITMA Staff for review. After ITMA staff make a decision, your documents will be sent back to the SOE office, and then back to the Graduate School for final action. This takes at least two weeks. You can check the status of your application on the Graduate School application webpage. You will be notified by the Graduate School regarding your acceptance. If accepted, you will receive an official letter from the Graduate School and a welcome email from ITMA.

Can I take courses without applying to the program?

Yes, we welcome students who are not necessarily seeking an Instructional Technology degree. The classification for such a student is Commonwealth Campus. This classification is open to individuals who hold an earned baccalaureate or higher degree from an accredited postsecondary institution. You still have to complete the Application for Graduate Study and pay the application fee, but you may send unofficial transcripts instead of official transcripts. With this status, you can take up to 12 credit hours. These courses may be approved for credit toward a degree should you decide to pursue one. Again, see the Apply link for more information.

What is the application deadline?

We encourage applicants to submit their complete applications, including supplemental materials, early to allow sufficient time for application processing. The Graduate School requires that applications for any program must be submitted at least 8 weeks before the beginning of the semester in which you would like to begin. The application process takes at least two weeks.

Please refer to the following application deadlines established for the upcoming entry terms: 
Application Deadlines:
Fall: August 1st
Spring: January 1st
Summer I: May 1st
Summer II: June 1st

The ITMA Program follows the VT on-campus calendar, so you can begin any semester or summer session you want but not in the middle of a semester.

What about transfer credits?

We will accept up to six hours of graduate transfer credit; however they must meet certain minimum standards. These include:

  • credits must be from an accredited institution and the courses must be offered at an accredited institution.
  • credits from Continuing and/or Professional Studies Programs will not be accepted (UVA Professional Development, PBS TeacherLine, etc).
  • credits must relate to the content of our instructional technology program.
  • credits must not be older than five years old.
  • credits must be approved by the ITMA staff.

Approval by the staff is based on a review of the description and syllabus of the course(s) you would like us to consider for transfer. We must be assured these courses will add to your cumulative experience in our program. A syllabus of course information should be sent to ITMA after you are accepted into the program. Official transcripts will need to be submitted for all transfer credits. These may have been submitted at the time you applied to the program.

What GPA do I need?

The VT Graduate School requires a 3.0 undergraduate GPA for acceptance. However, because we consider more than just your GPA in making admission decisions, you MIGHT be accepted as a provisional student if your GPA is too low. Provisional students can take up to 9 credit hours and then must petition the Graduate School to change their status. The status can only be changed if the student has maintained at least a 3.0 GPA in their graduate courses.

Commonwealth Campus status is open to an applicant who holds an earned bachelors or higher degree from a regionally accredited U.S. university. Examples of students who seek admission into the Commonwealth Campus program include those who (a) may qualify for regular admission but do not currently wish to work for a graduate degree; (b) do not qualify for admission because of a poor undergraduate record and wish to improve their credentials; (c) need to update their academic credentials after several years of professional experience or (d) require graduate courses for professional certification. International students in F1 or J1 visa status are not eligible for Commonwealth Campus status. However, some other types of visa status may allow non-degree enrollment (note that TOEFL score requirements do apply). Students applying for Commonwealth Campus status must complete the Application for Admission and submit a transcript (unofficial is sufficient) or a copy of their diploma for the highest degree attained.

According to Graduate School policy, Commonwealth Campus students may not earn a graduate degree while enrolled under this status. Therefore, if you begin the ITMA program as a Commonwealth Campus student, you will be required to change your registration status to "Regular Student" in order to earn your degree.

To begin the process of changing your status, you must:

  • complete 12 hours of ITMA courses
  • be a student in good standing
  • maintain a 3.0 GPA
  • apply to the ITMA program
  • pay application fees

If the student is accepted to a degree, a determination of the applicability of any courses taken while in Commonwealth Campus status, to a graduate degree, will be made at the time of submission of the Plan of Study for the degree.

Application Instructions

For step-by-step application instructions, please click here.

Financial Matters

How much is tuition?

Tuition varies based on in-state or out-of-state status and whether or not you are a teacher. Virtual Campus students do not have to pay activity fees, only a technology fee. Graduate tuitions and fees are listed at Our campus is considered Virtual.

For Virginia School Personnel, please scroll down to the bottom of page.

For questions regarding tuition and fees, please contact the Bursar's Office at

Completed forms for the K-12 Employee Reduced Tuition should be mailed or faxed to Graduate School at the following address:

Graduate School

Graduate Life Center

Virginia Tech (0325)

Blacksburg, VA 24061

Fax: 540-231-2039

What about financial aid?

There is a discount for in-state K-12 teachers; use this application form in order to receive the reduced costs. Otherwise, as with on-campus students, we refer you to the VT Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid for information on financial assistance. Generally, distance learners may qualify for federal loans if they take 5 or more credit hours per semester.

Learn more about other available funding opportunities

Application Fees

Degree-seeking students must include a $75 fee with their application, though check to see if you qualify for a waiver or reduced fee.

Submission Deadlines

Domestic and International Application

Fall: August 1st

Spring: January 1st

Summer I: May 1st

Summer II: June 1st

Additional Notes

  • You will be notified by the Graduate School about the action taken on your application for admission.
  • To apply to the Virginia Tech Instructional Technology (M.A.Ed  in Curriculum and Instruction), select "Education, Curriculum and Instruction" as your major. Then you should be able to select “ITMA” program area. Choose degree option “M.A.Ed.” from the list. Select campus as "Virtual".

  • Still have questions, see our frequently asked questions for application.  

Everything You Need To Know About Admissions

To request further information about the program or the application process, please contact the program.

Virginia Tech
144A Smyth
Blacksburg, VA 24061

The official transcripts showing degree conferral should be sent directly from your institution(s) to Graduate Admissions and School of Education:

Virginia Tech Graduate Admissions
120 Graduate Life Center at Donaldson Brown
Mail Code 0325p 155 Otey Street NW
Blacksburg, Virginia 24061
Office of Academic Programs 
School of Education
402 Wallace Hall (0565)
Blacksburg, VA 24061