Page 1 of 81 | 481 Results
Department of Political Science
533 Major Williams Hall
220 Stanger Street
Blacksburg, VA 24061
Professor Milly's current research interests include Japanese responses to increased immigration, comparative and global responses to international migration, and comparative patterns of interaction between state and civil society actors. In addition to New Policies for New Residents, she has presented papers on these subjects at numerous conferences and international meetings. During fall semester 2014, Dr. Milly used a sabbatical to conduct research on to the evolving policy discussion of international health care workers in Japan. During fall 2015 and summer 2016, she will continue that research with support from a Fulbright research award.
- Comparative Asian Politics
- Japanese Politics
- Transnational Migration
- International Relations of East Asia
- Multi-level Governance
- Comparative Public Policy
- Ph.D. Yale University
- M.Phil. Yale University
- M.A. Sophia University (Tokyo)
- B.A. University of Michigan
- American Political Science Association
- Association for Asian Studies
- International Political Science Association
- Midwest Political Science Association
- College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences Award for Excellence in Outreach, 2011
- Japan Policy Fellow, Japan Program, Center for Strategic and International Studies, Spring 2008
- Masayoshi Ohira Memorial Prize, 2000, for Poverty, Equality, and Growth: The Politics of Economic Need in Postwar Japan.
Milly, Deborah J. New Policies for New Residents: Immigrants, Advocacy, and Governance in Japan and Beyond. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, 2014.
Milly, Deborah J. Poverty, Equality, and Growth: The Politics of Economic Need in Postwar Japan. Harvard University Asia Council, 1999. (Distributed by Harvard University Press). Paperback, 2002.
Milly, Deborah J. “What Japanese Policymakers Should Know about How Government Contributes to Irregular Immigration,” The Asia-Pacific Journal: Japan Focus. September 18, 2007.
Milly, Deborah J. “Policy Advocacy for Foreign Residents in Japan,” in Takeyuki Tsuda, ed., Local Citizenship in Recent Countries of Immigration: Japan in Comparative Perspective. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books, 2006.
Milly, Deborah J. “The Rights of Foreign Migrant Workers in Asia: Contrasting Bases for Expanded Protections,” in Michael Jacobsen and Ole Bruun, eds., Human Rights and Asian Values: Contesting National Identities and Cultural Representations in Asia. Curzon Press, 2000.
Select Media Mentions