Department of Political Science
533 Major Williams Hall
220 Stanger Street
Blacksburg, VA 24061
Deborah Milly’s research interests include Japanese responses to increased immigration, comparative and global responses to international migration, and comparative patterns of interaction between state and civil society actors.
In addition to publishing New Policies for New Residents: Immigrants, Advocacy, and Governance in Japan and Beyond, she has presented papers on these subjects at numerous conferences and international meetings. During the fall semester of 2014, Milly used a sabbatical to conduct research on the evolving policy discussion of international health care workers in Japan. During the fall of 2015 and the summer of 2016, she continued that research with support from a Fulbright research award.
- Comparative Asian Politics
- Japanese Politics
- Transnational Migration
- International Relations of East Asia
- Multi-Level Governance
- Comparative Public Policy
- PhD, Yale University
- MPhil, Yale University
- MA, Sophia University (Tokyo)
- BA, University of Michigan
- Past Associate Chair, Department of Political Science
- American Political Science Association
- Association for Asian Studies
- International Political Science Association
- Midwest Political Science Association
- College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences Award for Excellence in Outreach, 2011
- Japan Policy Fellow, Japan Program, Center for Strategic and International Studies, Spring 2008
- Masayoshi Ohira Memorial Prize, 2000, for Poverty, Equality, and Growth: The Politics of Economic Need in Postwar Japan.
Milly, Deborah J. New Policies for New Residents: Immigrants, Advocacy, and Governance in Japan and Beyond. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, 2014.
Milly, Deborah J. Poverty, Equality, and Growth: The Politics of Economic Need in Postwar Japan. Harvard University Asia Council, 1999. (Distributed by Harvard University Press). Paperback, 2002.
Milly, Deborah J. “What Japanese Policymakers Should Know about How Government Contributes to Irregular Immigration,” The Asia-Pacific Journal: Japan Focus. September 18, 2007.
Milly, Deborah J. “Policy Advocacy for Foreign Residents in Japan,” in Takeyuki Tsuda, ed., Local Citizenship in Recent Countries of Immigration: Japan in Comparative Perspective. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books, 2006.
Milly, Deborah J. “The Rights of Foreign Migrant Workers in Asia: Contrasting Bases for Expanded Protections,” in Michael Jacobsen and Ole Bruun, eds., Human Rights and Asian Values: Contesting National Identities and Cultural Representations in Asia. Curzon Press, 2000.
Select Media Mentions
Recent Academic News