- Bachelor’s degree with 3.00 GPA for regular admission status is required (last 60 hours of coursework).
- Three letters of reference that address your academic ability and teaching potential are required.
- Students should also submit a History and Social Science Content Checklist.
- Passing scores on the VCLA test, and Praxis II (content) test. The correct Praxis II test is - Social Studies: Content Knowledge (test codes: 5081).
- Virginia Tech students may be considered for dual status admission during the last semester of undergraduate coursework. Students beginning the graduate program in the spring semester as dual status or regular status will normally complete the program in a fifth year following graduation from undergraduate programs. If space permits, students may be admitted in the summer for a 15-month program or in the fall for a two-year program. Application deadline is September 20 for spring/summer admission and February 20 for summer (if space permits) or fall admissions for the 2 year program. Acceptance to this program is competitive upon receiving applications; eligible applicants will be called for an interview. Learn More about accelerated B.A.-M.A.
In addition to complete and submit the Virginia Tech Graduate School Online Application, applicants are expected to submit the program application as well.
Include a scanned copy of your transcripts with your online application, then arrange for an official copy to be sent to both Graduate Admissions and School of Education after you receive an offer of admission.
*Virginia Tech students do not neeed to submit undergraduate transcription. Virginia Tech transcipts automatically come with the online graduate school application.
Department Graduate Testing Requirements
GRE is not required for History and Social Science Education Licensure Program (M.A.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction)
Licensure Testing Requirements
- Applicants must submit scores on Praxis II at the time of application, however it is not necessary to pass Praxis II in order to be accepted. Passing scores for Praxis II must be submitted before students are permitted to enroll in student teaching. For the History and Social Science Education, the correct test is Praxis II: Social Studies: Content Knowledge (test codes: 5081)
- Applicants must submit passing scores for the Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment (VCLA). Testing information is on http://www.va.nesinc.com.
- For more information on Virginia licensure required tests, please view the Required Tests page.
History and Social Science Education Undergraduate Content Check Sheet
should be submitted by potential students with the other application materials. It is used for analysis of coursework and can be use by potential applicants to check on the completion of all requirements.
Letters of Recommendation
Three letters of recommendation are required for History and Social Science Education Licensure Program (M.A.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction). You can include references/recommendations email addresses in your online application, or have them send paper copies directly to department.
Write a 2-3 page essay in which you discuss why you want to be a history and social science teacher. Consider any experiences you have had working with young people and characteristics that you possess which would make you a good teacher.
Attach your Curriculum Vitae/Resume
How much is tuition?
Tuition varies based on in-state or out-of-state status and whether or not you are a teacher. Virtual Campus students do not have to pay activity fees, only a technology fee. Graduate tuitions and fees are listed at http://www.bursar.vt.edu. Our campus is considered Virtual.
For Virginia School Personnel, please scroll down to the bottom of page.
For questions regarding tuition and fees, please contact the Bursar's Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Completed forms for the K-12 Employee Reduced Tuition should be mailed or faxed to Graduate School at the following address:
Graduate Life Center
Virginia Tech (0325)
Blacksburg, VA 24061
What about financial aid?
There is a discount for in-state K-12 teachers; use this application form in order to receive the reduced costs. Otherwise, as with on-campus students, we refer you to the VT Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid for information on financial assistance.
Degree-seeking students must include a $75 fee with their application, though check to see if you qualify for a waiver or reduced fee.
To apply to the graduate program, students must submit the Virginia Tech Graduate School online application.
Deadlines for early admissions:
- September 20 for entry in the Spring and Summer
- February 20 for entry in the Summer (if space permits) and fall (for the two year program).
*Note: Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis.
You will be notified by the Graduate School about the action taken on your application for admission.
To apply to the Virginia Tech History and Social Science Education (M.A.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction) program, select "Education, Curriculum and Instructions " as your major. You will be able to select " History and Social Science Education " later in the online form. Choose degree option “M.A.Ed.” from the list.
Include a scanned copy of your college transcripts with your online application, then arrange for an official copy to be sent to us after you receive an offer of admission.
The official transcripts showing degree conferral should be sent directly from your institution(s) to Graduate Admissions and School of Education:
Virginia Tech Graduate Admissions
120 Graduate Life Center at Donaldson Brown (Mail Code 0325)
155 Otey Street NW
Blacksburg, Virginia 24061
Office of Academic Programs
School of Education
402 Wallace Hall (0565)
295 West Campus Drive
Blacksburg, Virginia 24061
Send official scores to Virginia Tech Graduate School, code 5859.
There is a discount for in-state K-12 teachers; use this application form in order to receive the reduced costs. Otherwise, as with on-campus students, we refer you to the VT Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid for information on financial assistance. Generally, distance learners may qualify for federal loans if they take 5 or more credit hours per semester.
The Graduate School sends an official offer of admission to applicants upon the recommendation of the department faculty. Admitted applicants who are offered graduate assistantships at Virginia Tech are not required to make a decision to commit to the assistantship offer until April 15. See the assistantships page for more details.